Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition Magic to copy Windows 2000?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Shandley

Shandley

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:34 AM

Greetings,

I have an old system which I would like to keep running. I would like to upgrade the hard drive.

The old drive is an 80GB maxtor. The new is a 250GB Seagate.

The 80GB drive has a version of 2000 that works fantastic. I would like to copy that partition onto the 250.

Now I have tried this and found that Partition Magic will give me the error that the new partition will not be bootable and gives the explanation that it is because it is past the 1024 sector. I went ahead and started copying the partition of the 80GB with 2000 to an unallocated partition (ahead of another partition on that same drive (unformatted).

My question is, is there a way to make a partition bootable which already has the data on it (ie: my new 250GB drive) without losing the data?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

----
Added Info
----

Ultimately I am looking to copy an only disk with windows 2000 OS to a new disk. Partitions can be sorted out later. Suggestions, comments, questions all welcome :thumbsup:

Edited by Shandley, 19 March 2009 - 11:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:28 PM

So, you've copied a windows 2000 partition to another drive (with partition magic, for instance), and now you want to make it bootable...

NT always boots from the first partition on the drive, which can be either a FAT partition (possibly with windows 9x on it), or an NTFS partition with windows 2000.

If 2000 is your only operating system, make the partition primary and active, so that the BIOS can boot from its boot sector1. If this isn't possible, reinstalling from the CD, and then copying the image over again when it first reboots will enable it to boot off the partition even if it is an extended.

If you're moving the partition to the same location (controller/drive/partition) as last time, you're in business. If not (if a message saying NTLDR is missing appears, for instance), boot from the install CD, and enter the recovery console (it will prompt you for the root password). Type MAP to discover where the partition is mounted now, and write this down.

The next task is to edit the file boot.ini, in the root of the boot partition. This is much easier for a fat partition, as a dos boot disk with edit can be used. If it's NTFS, either a linux boot disk, or a working windows 2000 installation is necessary to edit the file. (I'm not sure if you can even edit a file using the rescue console using copy con.)

Your boot.ini will look something like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"

Line 5 (begining "multi(0)"...) is the one that needs to be changed to match the output MAP produced earlier. The meaning of the fields are as follows:
*multi/scsi - Controller id of controller the boot device is attached to.
*disk - The SCSI id of the drive. (On IDE systems, 0=master, 1=slave)
rdisk - Logical disk in multi-disk devices (such as CD changers?). 0 on almost any system.
*partition - Logical partition number on the disk.
Fields marked with a * are shown in the output of map.

The first entry in the line may also be 'signature(hhhhhhhh)', where hhhhhhhh is an MBR signature on a some drive attached to the boot controller. Note that disk must still be set correctly even if the signature is that of the boot drive. If signiature is in use, then the file ntbootdd.sys on the same partition as boot.ini must be an NT driver for the controller that the operating system is to be booted off. This should normally take care of itself, unless the scsi/ide card has been changed.

Set the values, save the file, and the machine will boot... Hopefully :thumbsup:

1 - If this doesn't work (the machine just sits there, for instance), boot to the recovery console, and run fixboot, fixmbr.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:29 PM

I've used PM for the past 8 years :thumbsup:, I currently use PM 8.0 with XP. What version of PM are you using?

You can disregard that warning...it's standard fare.

<<My question is, is there a way to make a partition bootable which already has the data on it (ie: my new 250GB drive) without losing the data?>>

I don't understand your question.

You post about copying a Win2K O/S partition...and now you ask about making a data partition bootable. A data partition has no O/S, so it cannot be bootable.

If you use PM to clone/copy the boot partition (the one with Win2K installed)...and there is nothing else on the drive...that partition will be bootable and will be reflected as C: when you boot into it. The boot.ini file will be be copied along with all system files and any other files which are on C:.

You must also set the new partition as Active, indicating that it contains the operating system and is thereby bootable.

After you have your O/S cloned/copied to the new drive...that is the time to create additional partitions for data and subsequently move data files from the old drive to the new.

Doing this any other way with PM...is not advised by me. I don't know that any other way will not work, I just know that the fewer obstacles I throw at PM, the better it works.

Louis

#4 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:34 PM

Thank you for the reply.

To prepare the 250GB drive for a copy of the OS partition on the 80GB drive, should I delete all partitions and data (files of any sort) or should I format the 250GB drive first?

When I said data, I meant data files. Anything that contains information is data and my thoughts were that an OS contains data. Terminology will get me every time.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:54 PM

No problem :thumbsup:.

Well...I can tell you that I would try to keep it as simple as possible.

I've cloned partitions with PM 8 and with Drive Image 2002 (Powerquest products, not Symantec). I have not had any experience with PM since Symantec acquired Powerquest (no reason, my versions work well with XP).

When I elect to copy/clone a partition...I select the partition I want copied...and then I select the hard drive I want it copied to. I have copied to another partition on the same drive (just as an experiment) and I have copied to another disk (nothing but unallocated space).

Both turned out correctly, but I would copy to an empty disk (at the beginning of the disk) if I intended to use that partition as a boot partition. I would also elect that the partition not be hidden, since I'm not sure what a hidden partition provides in the way of benefits.

Note: I was prepared to do a repair install (if I had to) to change the drive letter for C:, but it changed to C: once I installed it as the only hard drive and booted into Windows. Then I installed the other drives.

A format should not be necessary or useful...since the partition already has all the structures that it needs to perform on a new drive...when the partition is copied.

My standard advice when using PM: Execute one task at a time, even though the program might show that it's capable of several. If you want to resize your partition before cloning...do that. Then make the clone.

And remember...it's trial-and-error until you can boot into that partition on the new drive.

Louis

#6 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

Thank you again. I too am using Partition Magic 8.

I tried making a partition at the end of the 250gb drive and leaving a space unallocated at the beginning of the 250gb drive and copying the partition onto the unallocated part. Everything SEEMED to go smooth aside from having to edit the boot.ini at the beginning. Then I tried booting up and it would stall in the same place. "Starting Windows" and that little run bar below it got full. Once it was full, it would not budge. Then I tried safe mode and it would do the similar thing only at the last driver installed, it would stall.

I then took my 250GB drive, cleared out all partitions and left it unallocated. I am now copying the partition from the 80GB drive to the fully unallocated 250GB drive. I hope this will allow me to boot properly.

I shall post results at the end.

Thank you for the tips. If you think of anything else, please let me know.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

Some utilities can give unexpected results with large drives (48bit LBA), but I don't know if PM8 is one.

Since you're using a Seagate drive, you would be entitled to use the DiskWizard, which is a Seagate/Maxtor specific version of Acronis TrueImage:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/d...oads/discwizard

I've always found it easy to use and successful.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

I tried making a partition at the end of the 250gb drive and leaving a space unallocated at the beginning of the 250gb drive and copying the partition onto the unallocated part. Everything SEEMED to go smooth aside from having to edit the boot.ini at the beginning. Then I tried booting up and it would stall in the same place. "Starting Windows" and that little run bar below it got full. Once it was full, it would not budge. Then I tried safe mode and it would do the similar thing only at the last driver installed, it would stall.

I then took my 250GB drive, cleared out all partitions and left it unallocated. I am now copying the partition from the 80GB drive to the fully unallocated 250GB drive. I hope this will allow me to boot properly.

I shall post results at the end.

Thank you for the tips. If you think of anything else, please let me know.

As it goes, both worked fine. A small edit to the boot.ini as posted above and voila!

Thanks for everyones help. The saga continues as I try to restore my server's data :thumbsup:

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:51 AM

Nice going, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users