Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

code 41 again... keyboards will not work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 swearbyit

swearbyit

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:16 AM

hello, i have been having an issue with code 41 on my windows xp that seems to keep happening. Code 41:
"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)". the only thing microsoft suggests to do is update the driver, but that doesn't work. uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard does not work either. here is the background information.

it started in december when the internet on my home network went out. it was very strange because the modem and router still worked, and while the laptop got connected to the internet the desktop could not. i messed around with it for a few hours and got the internet to work again on both systems (no idea how i did it). when the internet finally worked, the keyboard on the desktop stopped working and showed the code 41 error. i tried to update the driver but no success, so i went out and bought a new keyboard. the new keyboard worked. problem solved, right?

wrong. yesterday the internet went out in the same fashion: wireless worked, desktop didn't. we had comcast come out and give us a new modem, and while the internet still wouldn't work for the desktop he told us that the network card was probably bad. so i went out and bought a new network card and installed it; he showed me how to put it in but we didn't take out the old network card, so i don't know if that's an issue. anyway, as soon as we got the internet working the keyboard went out again. we have only had that keyboard for 2 months! same code 41 appeared.

now i have no idea if these two things are connected, but it seems very strange how the same internet issue happened before the keyboards went out. i don't know how to uninstall drivers and reinstall them or if that is something i should do here, so i really have no idea what to do. we might get a wireless mouse and keyboard, but it seems to me if the problem is with the keyboard driver that the same thing might happen again 2 months down the road. totally at a loss of what to do. any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 swearbyit

swearbyit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

a new keyboard does not work now. very interesting. it seems it is the keyboard driver with the problem. anybody know anything about drivers?

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:56 PM

Have you tried a USB keyboard? :huh:

You might also want to try a "fancy" keyboard (multi-function) as they often will come with a driver disk. :thumbsup:

I am sure it is aggravating though. :huh:

Good luck.

DR

#4 swearbyit

swearbyit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:01 PM

had 2 usb keyboards, had a wireless keyboard with updated software and driver. will not work. i have a feeling i'll have to trash the entire system. what good is a computer if i can't use a keyboard?

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:37 PM

True, true. It won't work without the keyboard. :thumbsup:

How about a reinstall of the OS? I know that is a pain but unless someone else can help, I wouldn't know what else to suggest. :huh:

There is a On-screen Keyboard under Start>All Programs>Accessories>(I forget what it is called in english but it is a keyboard for the handicapped). It is in with the magnifier.

If you had a "spare" hard drive, you could reinstall the OS onto that, just to see if it would start working again.

And lastly, have you scanned for malware? http://www.f-secure.com They do a scan and will clean it as well.

I hope this helps.

DR :huh:

#6 swearbyit

swearbyit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

no luck with that unfortunately. and my computer is totally clean, because i just recently had a huge virus issue before this happened. i had a hijacker and a trojan. i'm almost wondering if perhaps the trojan worked over my registry and messed with the keystrokes. really i have no idea. i might try getting a ps2 keyboard and uninstalling the driver and let itself reinstall. i heard sometimes windows xp causes conflicts with usb keyboards.

#7 swearbyit

swearbyit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:40 PM

a little late, but i figured i would post a follow-up on what happened with this issue. i found out that all of my USB ports were not functioning, so i uninstalled all roots and then windows reinstalled them on start up. i thought this would solve my problem, but the keyboard still was not functioning. it was strange because the keyboard would function in BIOS before windows xp loaded, so i was able to startup in safe mode but the keyboard still would not work in safe mode. any keyboard i used, ps2, USB, wireless, always came up with a code 41. then i figured i would try to system restore to a point when the keyboard was functioning. my PC refused to system restore to any date. every time i tried it, upon restart it would say the restore failed. so i basically ran out of options.

just today i reformatted the entire computer. i feel lucky to have a dell because the newer dells come with a dell PC restore option, so all i had to do to return the computer to factory settings was hit ctrl + f11 on startup before windows and the entire uninstallation reinstallation process took about 10 mins. of course i lost all personal files but i backed up the things i wanted before i did it. restoring to original settings was the only option i had left - what good is a computer without the keyboard?

i still don't know what caused this problem. i have heard that windows xp and vista have known problems about usb conflicts, so it might have just been an inevitable problem to happen. i also know i had a trojan on the computer that i am pretty sure i removed, but it might have disabled the system restore which would explain why it failed each time. basically, who knows. i am just happy to have a functioning computer again!

also, if anybody responds to this, i am looking for a good antivirus program for this computer. i have had problems with mcafee, trendmicro, and norton getting viruses on my computer. i have heard good things about AVG, so i might try that next. any input about that?

#8 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:31 PM

I'm glad to hear you are back in business. That is what is most important. :thumbsup:

I use AVG Free and have been for a while. I understand Avira also has a free one. :huh:

But having just an AV program is not enough. You should have a Firewall as well. Firewalls can notify you of when something wants to make a registry change, which is what Trojans and other Malware do. I have used ZoneAlarm but started to have some conflicts. I switched to PCTools and that one is fine. Both are free as well as Comodo, which I am not familiar with. B)

If you are running Vista, you might want to stay away from ZoneAlarm. I got some Blue Screens using ZoneAlarm with Vista. Maybe they have resolved those problems by now but rather than wonder I just used PCTools. :huh:

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users