Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

am Having problem Access a Shared Drive in Win XP from Windows Vista Notebook

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 VICTORNOUS

VICTORNOUS

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:34 AM

Hi,

I've shared a Second Hard disk Drive in one of the Desktop PC running XP Pro SP2 in our office to facilitate backup and central retrieval of data.

all the Windows XP computers that I have set in the same Work group in the office Can access the Shared Folder.

While a Vista note book running vista Home basic OS doesn't access the computer with the shared folder though I have turned on public folder sharing, file and printer sharing, set it in the same work group as the rest. but still in vain.
I can see it in the Server PC(that has the shared Drive) but it can't see the computers in the same workgroup instead it pics other vista computers that are within the network(but not in the same work group).

I need help here.

Thanks in advance

Victornous

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

I would check your services, firewall, and internet settings...

#3 danr

danr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

I haven't spent much time on it and I may have simply missed something, only way I could get Vista to access other computers running XP was to turn off "UAC" (User account control) off.

If you want to turn it off but not sure where/how,

Start> control panel> User account> "Turn User account control on or off" Click on that phrase and it will give the option to turn it off.

Keep in mind that was only for a "one way" file share, Vista accessing XP but not the other way around. Once I had set up vista to file share too I was able to turn UAC back on, only did so as a test then turned it back off again. UAC drives me to the nut house.

Vista is a little more involved to set up to file share then XP is, if you're not sure how and you'd like to know the steps just let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users