Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt Bios

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tazzybell

Tazzybell

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:25 AM

Hi there, I'm new to the site, so I hope someone can help here.

I have been given an old packard bell F5280 HR Easynote laptop to try and fix, because someone has messed with it, that obviously doesn't know what they're doing!!

Right, when you turn it on, it comes up with a bios page, and an error message that says 'warning cmos checksum invalid, run scu'. and provides options; press delete to run default settings or f2 to enter bios setup. The problem is that NOTHING responds, neither it's own keyboard, nor an external keyboard plugged into the usb port.

I suspect whomever it was has tried to update the bios, and it's obviously done it wrong. Is there a way I can either re-flash it again, or at least is there a way around it, so I can use the keyboard, or another computer to get into the SCU????

ANY suggestions would be appreciated.

Tazzybell

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:26 AM

You need to replace the motherboard battery
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Tazzybell

Tazzybell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:34 AM

Battery changed for fresh one. Absolutely no effect, problem remains

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:16 PM

There is the possibilty that the keyboard isn't working !
If the KB or connection is bad you can't enter anything.

If the BIOS is corrupt the only way to fix a bad flash is to get it to boot from the floppy drive.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Tazzybell

Tazzybell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:05 PM

How do you mean 'boot from the floppy drive'? Do you mean to do a re-install?

I have very little experience of fixing bios based pc problems,like this one. I'm good at software, and basic hardware problems (brilliant at that, hehehe!!!)

Edited by Tazzybell, 19 March 2009 - 01:06 PM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:11 PM

If the BIOS is corrupt the only way to fix a bad flash is to get it to boot from the floppy drive.

Or if you do not have a floppy drive, it might be possible to use a USB thumb drive

Do you mean to do a re-install?

Kind of. You are going to have to write a new set of instructions to the BIOS chip

The first thing you need to do is find the correct Bios download to use
Close doesn't count
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:40 PM

A bad BIOS flash [update] usually is not an easy fix.

First you would need to go here,

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/ind...0601&g=2000

Make SURE that is correct & download the BIOS
You will then need to make a disk [or put it in a flash drive if it will boot from one]
Then the unit would have to be able to boot the disk/drive to reflash the BIOS.

Try hooking a "external" keyboard to it & see if it works .

Edited by fairjoeblue, 19 March 2009 - 04:00 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users