Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defragmenting Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:48 AM

Hi,

This will probably sound dumb but oh well, here goes. Has anyone ever known of defragmenting a hard drive causing any problems whatsoever? I have had a bit of an irrational fear about doing this so I did a quick google on it hoping to find that it could not cause any problems but instead I found that someone had posted somewhere that after they defragmented their drive their puter started taking longer to bootup. I did not read the details since I trust the opinions of the people here more than I do some random post so thought I would just ask about it here. I know that not defragmenting it can eventually cause problems, but wonder what possible problems I could encounter by defragmenting it. Yes, I like to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Thanks for any info anyone can share about this

Ooops, one more thing, if the files that need to be defragmented are part of a System Restore Point, will those Restore Points still work?

Edited by Stang777, 19 March 2009 - 06:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:24 AM

While no utility is absolutely and completely error-proof, Windows defrag comes close, and is used (hopefully) by countless owners countless times without ill effects to improve computer performance, and a version is included in all modern releases by Microsoft.
It is probably a good practice to run scandisk (checkdisk) before defragging, and of course always clean up the files on the hard drive first (a good opportunity to get rid of old or unneeded files in any case).

The rare cases of users reporting problems may be an example of the post hoc fallacy.

Defragging should have no effect on restore points.

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

Thank you very much John, I appreciate the info :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users