Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Synchronising Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 Database Files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sfcman

sfcman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:00 AM

A bit of background info first: The setup consists of an SBS2003 box with 5 client computers. All the users have their My Documents synchronised. 4 of the clients are running Windows XP Pro, and the remaining client is running Vista Ultimate (laptop). All machines have the latest updates (SP3 for XP and SP1 for Vista).

One of the users wants to be able to upload his photos to "My Pictures" from any machine using Photoshop Elements 7 (PE7 from now on) so that he can keep the catalogue up to date (sometimes he does it from his laptop, sometimes from one of the PCs). To do this we put the database file in a folder in his "My Documents" so that it syncs to the server as well.

Initially the PE7 setup consisted of trial installations which seemed to work under most circumstances; we called Adobe to check if this would be possible and although they did make it clear this software wasn't design for network use they mentioned that it shouldn't be a problem.

So once the setup was confirmed to work the customer shelled out for the full version. The problem came where we had to re-install the software from CD (because just punching in the key didn't activate the software, although it seemed to be the same version). After re-installing, the Vista machine started to get sync errors which listed the PE7 catalogue files as the problem. Deleting either the local copy or the server copy didn't seem to solve the issue. Pointing PE7 to a locally stored catalogue and then back to the network/sync'd catalogue seemed to temperarily fix the issue promply followed by the same problem after a restart.

Also worth mentioning: on the XP machines PE7 loaded up fine displaying all the pictures (a few thousand) quite promptly, whereas, when it did work on Vista (after reinstalling PE7) it took a very long time to show all the thumbnails.

So, any thoughts on how to fix this? I know it's not supported by Adobe, but it worked before when using the trial versions of PE7, and doesn't now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sfcman

sfcman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:37 AM

I hate to bump but since i've not had any reply:

*bump*

(hope this isn't against the rules, not read them yet:x)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users