Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant crashing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 XxThegr81xX

XxThegr81xX

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:50 AM

Alright, so I'm trying to help my friend out with his computer because he has been getting random crashes/blue screens. It will do one of two things when it starts up... Either load up with just the desktop and no taskbar or icons, or lock up on the desktop about 20 seconds after logging in and will not let me move the mouse or change numlock/caps/scroll.

Already Tried:
-Swapping RAM
-Swapping Video Card
-Updating BIOS
-Reformatting
-Removing RAM, 2nd Video Card, 2nd HDD

I was wondering if it's possible that something he has is incompatible with his other parts. I have tried swapping the RAM with 1gb PC12800, 2gb PC12800, and 1gb PC10666. I have tried putting 1 stick of each kind in and done memtest on them with no errors.

System Specs:

XFX 790i Ultra
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
2x WD 400GB SATA HDD
2x EVGA GeForce 9600GT Superclocked in SLI
OCZ Platinum 4gb(2x2GB) DDR3 PC12800
OCZ 1010W PSU
Windows XP Pro X64

If you have any ideas or suggestions to try let me know please :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:12 AM

Try starting it in Safe Mode.
If it will start & work in safe mode you have either a bad driver or device conflict.

If it does work in safe mode go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer
Click on Applications, Under Source locate a Winlogon
See what errors are listed.

To me iy sounds like the OS is having an issue with a corrupt driver,.
I would suspect ,in order, Video,sound, LAN .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 XxThegr81xX

XxThegr81xX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:54 AM

It works in Safe Mode with no problems, I am going to reinstall windows right now

I'll post an update in the thread in about ~30 mins when its done

#4 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:55 AM

Hhmm... If you have already reformatted and it still does it, then either the video card has problems, or the hard drive has problems... Or try installing linux, or Windows Vista... You could be having some major conflicts with Win Xp and the processor... If I remember correctly the 64bit XP isn't that great with multi core processors... You could also be having those conflicts with the board, or video cards...

Edit: I though you said you already reformatted? ... Ok so it works in safe mode... I would try updating, and virus/spyware scan.... Maybe even a registry scan too...

Edited by burn1337, 19 March 2009 - 01:56 AM.

#5 XxThegr81xX

XxThegr81xX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:05 AM

I just did a clean format, I am going to install each driver 1 at a time until the problems start up again

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:08 PM

I would always add malware to the list of items that can cause disruption on a system. In fact, I would try to eliminate that from consideration first, although that's rather hard to do on a system that won't boot to the O/S.

Louis

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:18 AM

there should be a way to start windows up manually one driver at a time, but I cant for the life of me remember how to do it. arg.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 XxThegr81xX

XxThegr81xX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:20 AM

I would always add malware to the list of items that can cause disruption on a system. In fact, I would try to eliminate that from consideration first, although that's rather hard to do on a system that won't boot to the O/S.

Louis

I doubt malware would be the cause since it was happening almost immediately after a free reformat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users