Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Message:Windows cannot read from this disk. The di ..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vietnamesedork

vietnamesedork

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 11 June 2005 - 12:09 AM

I'm completely clueless when it comes to computers and viruses and whatnot. I hope my ignorance does not annoy anyone.

So, here's my problem. Quite recently, I've found that everytime I try to load a CD, there's a message that pops up. Here's what it says:

Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows

I have Window's XP, on a Toshiba laptop. I'm not really sure what year it was made. I think it was in 2002.

I would greatly appreciate any help that can offered. Please reply, ASAP.
(I've just bought an Ipod and I REALLY REALLY want to upload my CD's, so I can have music on my Ipod.)

Most Sincerely,
VietDork :thumbsup:

PS. My aim is - xtheconformist. Feel free to IM me with any kind of help. Thank you all.

Edited by vietnamesedork, 11 June 2005 - 12:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 11 June 2005 - 01:01 AM

Does it do this with all of your disk?
Have you tried a CD cleaner?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 vietnamesedork

vietnamesedork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 10:33 AM

Yes, it does do it to all disks. I don't have any DVD's, so I'm not sure if a DVD would work. But music CDs, data CDs, and game CD's won't work. The weird thing is that, it won't even read CD's that it's burned itself just a while back.

Yeah, I've tried cleaning them. Even brand new Cd's don't work.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 10:47 AM

Sorry I wasn't too clear about CD cleaner.
I meant an optical drive cleaner, to clean your reader lens.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 vietnamesedork

vietnamesedork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 07:34 PM

I'm sorry and I hope I don't sound too stupid .. But what's an optical cleaner? Can I clean it with a regular tissue and some Windex?

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 11:59 PM

It's a disk you insert into your CD/DVD ROM drive, that cleans the laser lens.

An example:
CD/DVD Lens Cleaner

Should be able to get one at any electronics store.
I believe even Wal-Mart has them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users