Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP not booting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jgoodwin27

jgoodwin27

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:03 PM

So windows XP isn't booting, I plugged in my iPod the entire screen froze... hard shutdown restarted. When it restarted the windows xp screen comes up, gives me the options of how to boot, when i go normally it goes to a black screen and does nothing, when i go to safe mode it gets hung up on the file avgrkx86.sys... avg is my antivirus (or was once i get this fixed) so i don't know what is going on, pre windows i'm not good.

things i've tried:
everything (including iPod) is disconnected
boot safe mode
check bios for boot listings that hard drive is first
boot normally/last known good cofiguration
wait a while

my computer:
hp pavilioin zv6000
1GB ram
amd 64 athlon
ati radeon xpress 200m graphic card
windows xp originally and currently (i've gone from xp to 7 to linux to xp)

not sure really what to do. Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:52 AM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Smithsam

Smithsam

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:41 AM

try this link

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-...11-6031733.html

#4 jgoodwin27

jgoodwin27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

I just left the machine off for a night, came back the next morning, started right up.... maybe overheated (didn't have it running that hard/long so i doubt it but who knows)? its working now though, thanks for the suggestions (though none were used :thumbsup: )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users