Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will this XP disc work with a new Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wildcat2000

wildcat2000

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

I made a topic last week about a Blue Screen, fast forward Im just gona replace it and buy a new hard drive.

My pc came packed with a Windows XP Media Center Edition '05 installation disc.

When I do get a new hard drive can just install windows with this? I dont have to buy a whole new Windows program do I?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgoodwin27

jgoodwin27

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:14 PM

Yes windows should work fine with your new hard drive, you may have to format the drive (you probalby will) which will take a few hours and then you can start installing windows and it will ask for the registration key and it is on the sticker on the back/bottum/someplace on your computer there are going to be serial numbers, product numbers and a windows registration key, on mine its labled product key on the holographic-ish microsoft sticker, it should be similar for yours too.... i don't think that there will be to many problems but you know, its a computer, theres bound to be something stupid that will happen

#3 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

but you know, its a computer, theres bound to be something stupid that will happen

Hehe, I know what you mean.Iv been through stuff like that before. Anyway, cool, thanks alot.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:46 PM

Your CD must be bootable. Change proper settings in BIOS so ur computer can boot from cd before hard disk.

Read tutorrials on how to install:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_pro_install_-_graphic.htm

#5 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:04 PM

Your CD must be bootable. Change proper settings in BIOS so ur computer can boot from cd before hard disk.

Read tutorrials on how to install:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_pro_install_-_graphic.htm

Wow thanks, seems hard, is it? I know how to make it boot from the CD but that guide seems hard well maybe its just me.

So once windows is installed Im gonna have to have my internet re-installed too huh? But once Windows is installed everythings good to go right? Also how do you format a new hard drive, does it do it in its own?

Edited by wildcat2000, 18 March 2009 - 11:05 PM.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:13 PM

You are welcome :trumpet: That tutorial is 'highly' detailed to the limit of boredom, but is safe to follow :thumbsup:

Most hard disks today come pre formatted, ready to be used.
Most hard disks come with an installation bootable cd, which you boot from and follow directions on setting up your hard disk.
When you install Windows XP, it offers you to format the partition or unpartitioned space on your hard disk.

Gee! You have so many options :flowers:

Edited by Romeo29, 18 March 2009 - 11:15 PM.

#7 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:24 PM

You are welcome :inlove: That tutorial is 'highly' detailed to the limit of boredom, but is safe to follow :flowers:

Most hard disks today come pre formatted, ready to be used.
Most hard disks come with an installation bootable cd, which you boot from and follow directions on setting up your hard disk.
When you install Windows XP, it offers you to format the partition or unpartitioned space on your hard disk.

Gee! You have so many options :trumpet:

Oh alright, sounds great then. Thanks again :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users