Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot / "bad pool call"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jebzig

jebzig

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:45 PM

So, I recently had problems with the virtumonde and smitfraud viruses, and kindly asked for help here at bleepingcomputer.com.

After I was helped and the viruses were removed, my computer was completely fine and back to normal. However, two hours later it suddenly crashed and restarted to the following screen:

"Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

I restarted the computer and loaded the recovery console. This appeared:

1: H:\MiniNT
2: C:\WINDOWS

I pressed 2 and hit enter. The screen turned blue and said "BAD_POOL_CALL". I have no idea what this means. I haven't done anything to my computer except eliminate the viruses as directed in the thread I posted (using ComboFix and little else). Could this be a RAM issue, or maybe something happen to the registry?

I'm sitting on a mountain of problems and I just want to get this computer fixed; it's driving me crazy! I'd appreciate any help. A quick note: I do not have a backup of my harddrive, so if there's anything way I can do so on an unbootable computer or do anything to fix this while avoiding data loss, that'd be great. I realize there's always a risk, just saying. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:40 PM

My suggestion is to remove the HD, install it in a working computer [as a slave if it's IDE] , & rescue your personal folders/files by sending them from the HD to My Documents on the working computer.

Put the HD back in the computer [don't forget to set to Master if it's IDE] & do a clean install of XP.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users