Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with command prompt?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 10beckc

10beckc

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:04 PM

Ok, so i'm new, like realllly new to using the command prompt and i want someone to start from the very basics on how to use it and the commands please and thanks you.

Oh, and i don't know if it matters but i have windows vista home premium

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:13 PM

Out of curiosity, why are using the command prompt? Unless you are trying to use some pretty obscure commands, there is almost no reason to use it. I used to use the command prompt in Windows 3.0 when Windows existed within DOS. By the time Windows 98 came about, I stopped using it so I can't be much help with many of the commands.

3939.png

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:17 AM

The Command Prompt requires a bit of study to get it doing what you want.
Also, in Vista, it's usually limited to Standard User privileges unless you specifically choose to elevate it.

To start with, go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
In the black window that opens up, type "help" (without the quotes) and press Enter
This will give you a list of commands that are built into the Command Prompt executable.

Beyond that, you'll have to identify the executable file that you want to run.
If it's located in your system's Path - you just type the name of the command and press Enter to execute the command
If it's not located in your system's Path - then you've got to type the full path in order to get it to execute.

Beyond that, Google is your friend! :huh:

PS - the Command Prompt (cmd.exe) is different from Command.exe (the MS-DOS command line).

Edited by usasma, 19 March 2009 - 07:18 AM.
added PS

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ApperTon

ApperTon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:43 AM

It is good to know basic CMD tools.

Ping Ping -t
Ipconfing
Netstat
Ipconfig /all

Just some basic ones I use on the daily working on networks.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:15 PM

There are also some handy file management commands in the command prompt. Although the MS-DOS CLI and the Vista command prompt are different, many of the same commands and conventions exist in both.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users