Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to load some web pages

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JaLady

JaLady

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:13 PM

Hi all, I think I posted this in the wrong place before.......

I've got a PackardBell Easynote MZ36 Laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1.

Some web pages that I visit regularly just won't load anymore. They're not even timing out... just get a blank page with the message at the bottom "Waiting for <hxxp://mail.com"> or "Transfering data from www.mail.com" and the little circle circling away like mad! The green progress indicator sometimes stays completely blank and sometimes goes almost all the way.... but never quite gets there!

I've managed to load from a cached copy in order to log in, but surely there must be a problem that I need to fix?

I've run scans, downloaded malware programs, tried to do system restore (not completing either) and short of reseting my laptop to factory settings I don't know what to do. This happens with the same websites and happens in both IE and Firefox.

Any suggestions out there? Would really appreciate some help.

JaLady

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 February 2013 - 12:45 AM.
Deactivate link. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joriR

joriR

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:11 PM

Isn't it just sooooo frustrating? i'm having the same prob with mine, too. if i hit "stop" and then "refresh" a few time, i'll finally get the page. it took me 3 times just to get here. i've had the mcafee viruse scan thru ATT for over a month with no probs. it all started 2 days ago. believe me, i've tried everything!!!! i've been on 53 different websites looking for answers, to no avail. i have win xp home edition, IE7. deleted all temp files, cookies, disabled the mcafee, enabled stuff in the security section of internet options, then put everything back and still no good. google page will come up, but i only get the older mail verson---pain when you're trying to delete 96 spams at one time. my att home page takes about 4 tries, and the i can only get a partial page, just enought to get to my mail.
also can't download anything. i've tried 23 times to download the winzip.exe and even tried to downloa mozzila, but the box comes up, i save it to my desktop and then wait...........and wait............and wait............then cancel. and yes, i've tried to just run it, but that doesn't work iether.
i would love it if someone could help me out.
:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

#3 joriR

joriR

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:50 PM

just spent 47 minutes in chat with ATT and they have told me that my Win XP is not compatible with IE7 :thumbsup: I'm guessing within the past 3 days, when all this started, that something has changed, but they ASSURED me nothing has changed and i need to delete IE7 and use IE6.
anyone have any ideas about this?

#4 joriR

joriR

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:39 PM

guess i'll just keep talking to myself as it looks like no one else can help.
just spent another 35 minutes in "chat" with ATT. they now say my IE7 IS compatible with WIN xp :thumbsup: Who knew!!!!!!
anyway, now it's going to cost me $$$$ to "talk" with one of their techs, so i'm back here asking for help.
still can't load pages completely. sometimes if i hit "stop" and "refresh" the page will load. what a pain.
i can't download anything. thought i'd try foxfire/mozilla, but i can't download it. tried to download adaware, but i can't. the download box comes up, i save to desktop (and yes, i have tried to just run it, and i have tried to saveit to another file), then the download box comes up and keeps throwing papers from one side to the other, but nothing in the download bar.
so ends the saga:

#5 JaLady

JaLady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:45 PM

Hi joriR,

Thanks for your sympathies and mine to you as well.

Strange thing is I can access most sites, and can download whatever I want - got IE 8 last night no problem. It's just a few websites won't load. Most frustrating thing is it doesn't even time out. Just hangs there, loading indefinately. I left if for about an hour a couple of nights ago and when I came back.... No change! Still "waiting for www.mail.com" ...... Grrrrr!

#6 joriR

joriR

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:16 PM

yep, very frustrating. i wanted to download the IE8 also, but can't. so i guess we just wait until someone hears our cries :thumbsup:
i'm going to austin this weekend, and lucky me, my son-in-law is a computer programer/wizkid, so hopefully he can fix mine. will have him write down what he's done, so maybe it can help you.
bye

#7 JaLady

JaLady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:53 PM

Hi joriR, was wondering how you got on in Austin... did you get help with your problem? I still have the same problem here. One day out of the blue I was able to access the site and log in - it all worked just fine. Then a couple of days later the same thing happened again.

Is there anyone else out there who might have some suggestions? Help!!!!

#8 Robar

Robar

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:04 PM

Have either of you figured out what was wrong? I am having the same problems you had.
Thanks

Hi joriR,

Thanks for your sympathies and mine to you as well.

Strange thing is I can access most sites, and can download whatever I want - got IE 8 last night no problem. It's just a few websites won't load. Most frustrating thing is it doesn't even time out. Just hangs there, loading indefinately. I left if for about an hour a couple of nights ago and when I came back.... No change! Still "waiting for www.mail.com" ...... Grrrrr!

Any luck?

yep, very frustrating. i wanted to download the IE8 also, but can't. so i guess we just wait until someone hears our cries :thumbsup:
i'm going to austin this weekend, and lucky me, my son-in-law is a computer programer/wizkid, so hopefully he can fix mine. will have him write down what he's done, so maybe it can help you.
bye

Were you able to figure this out? I am having the same problem.

Thanks,
Robar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users