Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drivers and Windows Vista!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:43 PM

I have an Inspiron desktop running Windows Vista. What is the right formula for figuring out if all my Drivers are current. I know that when there is a yellow symbol next to the Hardware device that there is a problem. Is it important to go to the Dell website and install the Drivers that are stated to be Urgent. Is there any driver scanning programs that you recommend. I used Driver Agent and it detected that I needed to update a few drivers. I went ahead and did this, and when I scanned again it said I needed to update the same drivers. I have tried to update via Windows looking for the driver automatically, but it always says that I have the most current driver.

I have had some issues with the BSOD whilst browsing the Internet and listening to Itunes. The error code is 0X0000007A. Do you think this error code is driver related?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smithsam

Smithsam

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:08 AM

Astra32 is best software to find the driver utility and also Bios features of motherboard.

http://www.astra32.com/

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:03 AM

Windows Updates are urgent/critical. Driver updates are rarely so, but checking the reasons for the update on the Dell site can tell you more about the issue. In general I don't update drivers unless I'm experiencing a problem in my system.

The error message that you mention can be caused by drivers - or by problems with your hardware. The error means that some sort of data couldn't be read into memory ( http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x7a )

Is your iTunes up to date? That'd be the place to start looking. For now the error seems to center around networking (the browsing) and audio (the iTunes) - so updating those drivers may help.

Beyond that, I'd suggest looking at this thread for some suggestions about the BSOD's: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:31 AM

Thanks for the good suggestions. I have updated the Real Tek Audio driver and the network controller. No information in the minidump file.

Can someone give me the exact settings for the system failure to make sure all the details get recorded in the minidump file. Is this usually set to default? Could the information from the BSOD be in another file?

write and event to the sytem log - check or uncheck
send and administrative alert " "
automatically restart " "
small, Kernal or complete memory dump?

Is this the default folder location %SystemRoot%\Minidump

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:14 PM

write and event to the sytem log - check or uncheck ** Check will write an entry to Event Viewer when a crash occurs
send and administrative alert " " - ** Check will send an alert to the administrative part of Event Viewer
automatically restart " " - ** Uncheck will stop the computer from rebooting, so you can see the message
small, Kernal or complete memory dump? ** Small is best here, you don't often need the extra info that the kernel or complete dump provides. Also, with the kernel or complete dump, the file is overwritten with each crash - so you'd have to save the files in order to build a history of them.

The small dump files are stored in the directory:%SystemRoot%\Minidump - the kernel and complete are stored at: %SystemRoot%\Memory.dmp
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users