Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Not Being Recognized

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 props1oh1

props1oh1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

Hi everyone. I have a problem that I am hoping someone here can help me with. I have an external maxtor one touch hard drive that my son tripped on the usb cord and it was ripped from the back of the unit. So, as opposed to paying for a new external case I picked up a sata2 cable and a sata power adapter, but the thing is that the drive is not being recognized. Is there some sort of driver that I need to be able to use an external as an internal, or is it even possible to use an external internally, or could I even have picked up the wrong cable (sata2), the drive is a 500gb seagate barracuda 7200. My thanks to anyone who responds. -props

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Point 1: A USB 2.0 external hard drive is nothing but 2 different components

a. A hard drive, just like the hard drive on which your copy of XP is installed.

b. A shell which contains that hard drive. The shell connectors for the drive and (should have) an external power supply of its own.

Point 2: Manufacturers of hard drives make both PATA and SATA models of the same drive. The way to differentiate is to look at the serial number on the drive.

Point 3: Any drive which is in an external shell...can be removed from that shell and directly connected to a motherboard with the proper connectors on it. SATA connectors are clearly different from PATA/IDE connections on a motherboard.

http://www.directron.com/patasata.html

As you can see, IDE motherboard connectors are much larger.

Louis

#3 props1oh1

props1oh1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:43 PM

Hey thanks for the reply hamluis. First off the drive is an sata drive, cause like you said the difference is pretty obvious, and I also have 2 ide drives currently installed, but my mobo has 2 sata slots, sata 1 & sata 2, so I figured that an sataII cable would work better than an ide to sata connector. So I guess since the external is the same as an internal, could the reason the drive is not being recognized is that the sata cable is bad (brand new from new egg), or the wrong kind of sata cable (sataII), does anyone have any other ideas why it wouldn't be recognized? thanks guys. -props

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

I never heard of a SATA II cable until you mentioned it...I see that there is such.

Most of us just use the SATA cable with SATA II drives, I guess that we don't know there is a difference.

<<...so I figured that an sataII cable would work better than an ide to sata connector.>>

I don't follow you at all. There is no need for any IDE to SATA conversion if you have motherboard slots supporting SATA drives and motherboard slots supporting PATA/IDE devices...which are directly connected properly. The power supply connections also need to be made properly.

Possible reasons for a drive not being properly recognized have to start with the connections.

Are you saying that your BIOS does not recognize the drive when it is properly connected to the motherboard...and the power supply?

Of course...there's always the possibility that the drive has been damaged or is defective.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users