Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Local Drive C

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Byte_me2

Byte_me2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:15 PM

[B] :thumbsup: Hi, could some one please tell me if Local Drive C and my Hard drive are the same thing ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:27 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer, Byte_me2.

could some one please tell me if Local Drive C and my Hard drive are the same thing

Yes.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 11 June 2005 - 01:30 AM

To give you some more detail, your hard drive (or 'hard disc drive' in full) is the physical piece of hardware inside the computer case or tower, where the operating system, programs and files are stored. For the operating system (assume its Windows) to use the hard drive it must be "partitioned" and the partitions must be "formatted" in a way which makes them recognisable as storage space to Windows.
The first recognisable partition on the first hard drive in the case is referred to by Windows as "C:" (or Local Drive C) because the letters A: and B: are reserved for floppy drives. If there is a second partition, on the same hard drive that will be referred to as "D:" (local Drive D) and so on. When all the partitions on all the hard drives have been allocated a drive letter Windows will then allocate letters for other IDE devices such as CDROM drives.
In the most simple setup there is only one partition on your hard drive, which is therefore C:, and one CDROM drive, which is therefore D:.

hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 11 June 2005 - 01:36 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users