Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Still trying to find a hosting site and develop webpage

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Astrovel

Astrovel

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:52 PM

Most of us are not as skilled in computer stuff hence our appreciation of the experts replies. Hosting on my own computer is out for me. I'm too computer challenged to do it. Also I am connected to the internet through a broadband satellite provider which is not very dependable when the weather gets bad, and it doesn't even have to be bad weather in my state. I live in Texas and my gateway is in Syracuse, N.Y. So if they are getting storms our connection goes out for awhile.

I am still trying to find a good reasonably priced (about $7-10) hosting site that doesn't have tons of negative postings about them terminating people's websites or being down a lot, preferably one with a web builder. I welcome anybody's suggestions.

Following advice posted on several web development articles, I purchased two domain names. I just don't have a web page developed and a hosting site to publish it to. In trying to find some html helps, I have downloaded several html editing programs but it is like looking at the start page for PhotoShop 5. Unless you are proficient in these blank page programs, it is a waste of time trying to figure it out.

I could adjust the html to some degree once the basic page is there. I can add photos with IMG SRC but adding buttons, tabs etc is out of my league.
I am trying to develop a webpage that we can promote my husband's historical novels. I would like to be able to add buttons or tabs that we can post a sample chapter of each book and a button for a bio, one for scheduled events like book signings (if we ever get that far) etc.

Also, the webpage articles say you should make sure there is Hot Link Protection , FTP access, Email, Spam filters, how many lines to the internet?, shopping cart, detailed traffic analysis etc etc etc. It just all seems so monumental to tackle this project.

In addition, when making your choice of providers, there should be an answer to world peace, troops reduction, world hunger, and domestic stimulus plans. LOL.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:29 PM

I've had reasonably good experiences with http://www.freehostia.com they're tech support is top notch, plus it's cheap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users