Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CANT ACCESS WINDOWS!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:49 PM

:thumbsup:

Hello all, this topic is in refrence to my faters computer. When his computer was working he had no Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware and or Firewall up. He also liked to download lots of things. So as you can expect he had viruses, trojans and pretty much anything you can think of on his computer. I told him numerous times to do something about it. So one day I took it apon my self to at least hook him up with some sort of protection and try and quarantine what he had on his computer. So I got him Avast Home, SuperAntiSypware, Spyware Terminater, Malware-Bytes and a Comodo Firewall. I performed a scan and o my god did I find all kinds of things. I quarinted them and uninstalled all his useless bullcrap out of his computer. I told him he should just reinstall his OS and start new. But he insested on not doing so because of all the expensive software he had on the computer and did not have the install disk anymore. So I said ok. Over the next course of about 3 or 4 months his computer became so agian and he told me it had crashed. When I came over I tried to boot in with last saved good config option which led me to the Windows splash screen for like 30 to 40 minutes in which time I restarted and tryied safe mode which led me to nemours lines of like partion(0)disk(0) somthing somthing and them froze at the end. If you need me to find out what the somthing somthing is I can do so. So where I am at is its either frozen splash screen or frozen looks like dos on a black screen. I do not have the windows XP cd or boot disks. He was running windows XP PRo. Shouldn't I try Recovery Counsel and chkdisk? Dont I need the windows XP cd to do so? Could I use boot disk to do so? I found a place to make a Windows XP Pro boot disk online. Would this work? Would any windows XP cd work or does it have to corresond with its Product Key code? If any would work do you know of a place to download one?

Any help would be useful, I will keep trying to answer these questions on my own. But I have been trying to work on this for awhile and I am getting frusterated.

Thank you,

-swaMprUnner-
I would rather be a little overkill with my computer. Than to have my computer be killed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:06 PM

You may be able to boot into recovery console if it's one of the options at boot. If not you could boot into it, using a recovery console iso from the internet, and try out to see if chkdsk helps.

Hm if you could get the win xp cd, why do you not have access to it? you could do a repair install as the next step.

Have you tried all the options from F8 at startup? The partition(0) lines are normal when Safe Mode is loading, try leaving it for a while and see if it does actually load.

I'm not an expert on this but hopefully someone will come along and help you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:28 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Time for anecdotal material...

When a person fails to take good advice, I try not to do anything that will lead them to believe that this is the way that life should proceed. I don't like the idea of rewarding willingness to be less than reasonable...with a rescue effort. Situations like that breed business and I'm not engaged nor interested in any business dealings whereby I exploit the inabilities of others to think straight.

Perhaps you ought to follow that premise in dealing with your father.

There have two pieces of advice that many users consistently refuse to follow:

a. Systematically backup their systems, in part or in total, because...the day will come when the system will no longer run smoothly, if at all.

b. Protect the system as well as possible...against malware.

When my friends contact me with some disastrous situation looming on the horizon...I immediately tell them that the only cure is a clean install. Of course, this provokes all sorts of wailing and gnashing of teeth...which has no effect at all on my behavior/demeanor. I insist that it's a clean install...or the status quo...and they eventually relent and yield to the idea of my doing a clean install.

Once I have the system, I spend about 8 hours trying to salvage it from the bog it has fallen into. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes there is little that anyone could do...other than a clean install.

The next day, I return the system...now working well...and I provide a warning that encompasses proper installation of critical updates, backup strategies, the value of a disk-imaging program...and the need to have a Microsoft XP install CD for repair purposes. I have made them a CD containing a slipstreamed version of XP, updated through the level of their system (SP3) and I have asked them to call me if they feel the need to use such.

I don't have "repeat offenders." It's amazing what one hard lesson can accomplish where cajoling and suggesting never even made a dent.

Anecdote over :flowers:.

<<Shouldn't I try Recovery Counsel and chkdisk?>>

You can try any number of things. Since you've been made "the doctor", it's up to you what efforts you make to save this patient. If I were of the mind to try things, certainly chkdsk /r would be first on my list on a system that I cannot boot into.

<<Dont I need the windows XP cd to do so?>>

That would make things easy...but it's not the only way. You can download the Recovery Console in .iso format, use an .iso-burning program to convert that into a bootable CD...and then access the RC on that bootable CD.

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

<<Could I use boot disk to do so?>>

What boot disk are you referring to? Not that I know of. If you are referring to a floppy boot disk...no.

<<I found a place to make a Windows XP Pro boot disk online. Would this work?>>

You seem confused as to what a boot disk is/does. This is what Wiki says a boot disk is, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_disk

Normally, a boot disk itself is not very valuable...it's the tools that may also be installed that are the value. Same as the floppy drives used to diagnose the status of hard drives...it's the tools that are useful, not the fact that it's bootable. It's bootable so that the user may utiliize the tools.

<<Would any windows XP cd work or does it have to corresond with its Product Key code?>>

When you say "windows XP CD", I think "Microsoft XP CD". None other. For access to the RC, either version will work.

If trying to do a repair install, then XP Home CD must be used for XP Home...XP Pro CD for XP Pro. Honestly speaking, I would say that your described system needs either a repair install or a clean install...but I've been wrong before.

<<If any would work do you know of a place to download one?>>

Two very sketchy premises...I don't know what will work, other than a clean install. As for downloading...Microsoft is not in the habit of providing free downloads of its products to the general public.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users