Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backed up everything, NOW WHAT?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Buckscrape

Buckscrape

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:42 PM

Okay so I had to reinstall my Vista operating system, backed up everything to an external hardrive by performing backup prior to losing older Vista, now how to I get all the information and programs back onto my laptop? :thumbsup:

Seems that I have the backup showing but cannot get anything to move all the info. back onto the laptop.........HELP....! :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

If you backedup installed programs they won't work .

If you have personal files/music/videos open the backup HD,
Right click a foder/file & on the menu click Copy
Open the location you want it to be in on Vise
Right click on a empty spot in the folder & on the menu click Paste.

BTW, If you backedup the C drive [the entire drive] to a external HD you probably won't be able to use the foles.
A OS backup should be a "image" of the original HD like a ISO file.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 18 March 2009 - 01:17 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:05 PM

Your programs are pretty much gone, there is more to a program installation than just the files in its directory. There are also registry settings that would not have been copied over and some programs will not work without them. For normal user-generated data, such as documents, music, and videos, those can be simply copied and pasted from one hard drive to another. Using an ISO image of a Vista install may not be a good idea if certain files have been corrupted or if there was a virus.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users