Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no boot past splash screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BK06

BK06

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:07 AM

ok this one has me scratching my head

yesterday morning I was able to bootup my computer fine, got past splash screen, was able to login, startsup.
mozilla newest version has been crashing on me recently, but it seems to happen to a few of my friends too.

anyways i turned it off, because for whatever reason my computer no longer sleeps (makes me be a bit more aware of when and how i use my computer), and walked away for about 3 hours.

i come back, turn on, goes to xp home splash screen, and then black screen, no cursor.
i restart: turns on, goes to splash screen, i get a cursor this time, but still just black screen.

so i restart; turns on, f8 into safemode, thinking darn virus or something. safemode loads up, but the resolution is high.
normally when i load into safemode its at 600x800, blue desktop, and i can't resize it, but the windows for all my virus scanners look like they would in normal mode, just taking up the whole screen...

this time i have more than enough space, the screen has a black desktop, has SafeMode in four corners, and system detail printed at top
my antivirals (AVG, spybot S&D, malewarebytes..) programs run on the bare minimum, (no fancy interface) only black screen and blocky white letters. no problems found (well actually i don't even get a log, it just kind of finishes and closes) i can't resize the resolution.

i tried the msconfig turnoff startups reboot into normal, still nothing
i tried the msconfig turnfoff services (hid microsoft services first), restarted and still nothing

i turned those all back on, shut down, unplugged and reseated by RAM, still nothing
i really don't have the options of reseating my motherboard or graphics card as i have a Gateway minitower E-series, and they're kind of the same thing, buried behind wires i can't even unplug.

thinking about it, i had a similar problem that just kind of fixed itself before, but it's not doing it this time
i haven't downloaded anything in over a year, and got rid of the programs.

the RAM is newish, 2 months now, and nothing is dusty/static

the computer is kind of old, like 5 years and i use it everyday, my thoughts are that it could either be:
a] the Power Source
b] something with the drivers, due to the irregular resolution in safemode
or
c] maybe it's old and my HD needs to be taken out back and shot

anyways any help would be really appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:58 AM

FWIW: Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Louis

#3 BK06

BK06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:10 AM

thanks for the link, i'll try it out today.

#4 BK06

BK06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

alright i my computer won't let me format a floppy disk, don't know why, but it cannot complete the format. and these are unused disks.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:44 PM

Floppy disks...have nothing to do with running that command.

The Recovery Console is on the XP CD...if the user has no XP CD, then the RC can be downloaded in .iso format and then burned/transformed into a bootable CD.

You can use the following program to create the bootable CD from the .iso file download, Active@ ISO Burner - http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

Louis

#6 BK06

BK06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:02 PM

eh, unfortunately i'm working off a computer with dialup (ugh) so that download would take a while to complete.

however i was able to obtain a windows xp pro SP2 cd from a friend, is there any danger in using running fixmbr from a winxp pro on a home edition computer?
otherwise i might just ask him to download the iso you linked.

Edited by BK06, 31 March 2009 - 06:57 PM.

#7 BK06

BK06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

nevermind, i was able to get it working.
thank you for your help louis

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users