Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I.P. addy question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jimnor46

jimnor46

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:56 AM

Is it normal/common for your I.P. address to change without your knowledge? On Feb.27, '09, I went to a website that locates I.P. addresses. When you access the site, your I.P. addy is automatically displayed. In Feb., my I.P. addy was displayed as one set of numbers. Yesterday, I logged onto the same website and now my I.P. addy is different. Is this common? Kinda confusing.
Also, while reading one of the logs that someone posted that was having virus problems, the moderator said that the I.P. addy that was in the log inidicated that the person posting the log was in Bulgaria. Just for fun, I went to the I.P. finder website, typed in the I.P. addy and the addy was shown to be in California. Went to another website that shows I.P. addresses and typed in the same I.P. address and it came back with a location in the Ukraine. Exactly same I.P. addresses but with two different locations. Is this common also?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:40 PM

I assume your on a ADSL Line?

The same happens with everyone a DSL line unless they have a fixed IP address, although that might be limited to Cable connections not sure never had a fixed address with my ISP's and not had a Cable Connection either just ADSL.

But the way I understand it happens is that every time you turn your Router/Modem on it is negotiating with your nearest broadband exchange for internet access when it requests this through the exchange, your details which are set in your Router/Modem either by your ISP or given to you to input into your Router/Modem, these details are then sent to your ISPs' server which then gives your Router/Modem an IP address for internet access this IP address will vary depending on the IP addresses already assigned to people with the same Broadband provider as you, Broadband companies use an IP range so most likely you will get a different one from that range every time.

When I search my IP address I just get the 1 location, where my ISP's Servers are, I do get a second entry but that refers to an organisation (looks to be based in Amsterdam, Netherlands because of the location it shows me) called RIPE which assigns IP Address Ranges to ISP's around Europe, Middle East and parts of Central Asia, I don't know how your IP Address could come back with the location as Ukraine? Can you give a link to the Site? I'd like to see if I get a different location returned.
It can't seem possible to get your IP address location returned as Ukraine when you live in the US because IP Addresses are meant to be unique you can get it to return 2 results (Like I did) with your location but the other should be the organisation ARIN which assigns IP Address Ranges for your Broadband companies in North, Central and South America, and also I found out ARIN was the RIR (Regional Internet Registry) for you by looking at this page on the RIPE website.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:55 PM

If you have a dynamic internet connection Your IP will change everytime you disconnect and reconect to the internet (whether you restart your computer or routher, whichever is plugged into the modem.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:07 PM

A relative in another state and I have found that the IP addresses will change also according to what browser we are on and whether we are in google desktop or not. Firefox has a local server which shows up.

I adjusted my settings via phone call with my ISP, and my "permanent" IP has changed.

#5 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for the responses. I learned something new today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users