Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Op System won't boot to Desktop

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 machat

machat

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:33 AM

When I power my system up everything looks good until I get to where the desktop icons usually appear. The desktop screensaver appears for appx 5 seconds and the system immediately goes to the Welcome screen. The welcome screen has my name and how many Out look messages I have, etc. When I click on my name from the Welcome screen it indicates breifly that I am being logged into Windows and immediately loogs off and I am back at the Welcome screen. Any suggestions???!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:39 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Do you have an XP CD?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 machat

machat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:42 AM

Thanks Louis! Yes I have an XP CD and the make is Insignia (Old Best Buy brand), Model is D400

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:51 AM

Great :thumbsup: !

So that there is no misunderstanding, the following all pertain to using a Microsoft XP CD...not recovery/restore CDs of any type.

Let's try the most basic cure...we are going to run a command called chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console of the XP CD.

In order to boot from the CD, you will have to change your BIOS boot options so that the CD/DVD drive is the first option.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

#5 machat

machat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

OK, it is an XP CD, not the manufacturer repair disc. Just so I am clear (I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer!) once I follow the directions from the link you sent are we hoping that repairs the problem or do I complete and await further instruction?

#6 machat

machat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:14 AM

Ok, chkdsk /r ran and fixed one problem. I rebooted and same thing happened. My desktop background comes up and instead of the usual desktop items appearing, the system goes back to the Welcome screen. Help!!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:12 PM

OK, we move to Phase 2 :thumbsup:.

Can you get into Last Known Good Configuration?

Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;315222

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 March 2009 - 04:53 PM.

#8 machat

machat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:55 PM

Louis,

Gotta run. Be back in hour and a half and I will try last good config. Thanks again.

#9 machat

machat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:55 PM

No luck. Ran last good config and desktop background comes up and immediately goes to Welcome screen. When click on user icon desktop flashes and its back to Welcome screen

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:52 PM

OK, thanks.

See if you can get into Safe Mode...or any of the other options presented.

If none of those work, I would suggest a repair install attempt.

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

#11 machat

machat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:01 PM

Will I lose data with a Repair Install and how do I know what IE version I have if all I can get on my screen is Welcome screen?

#12 voros

voros

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:32 PM

I am having what seems to be the exact same problem that I posted about here.

That we both are experiencing this problem at roughly the same time may be a coincidence, but I wonder if that changes the possible causes for this to something acquirable online (either through a virus/malware or a windows update).

In my case Safe Mode as any user (including Administrator) doesn't work nor do any of the suggestions mentioned.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:56 PM

Malware is always...the possible root cause for computer situations where problems suddenly appear.

That's why a good security posture...is important.

This is further complicated by the fact that the effects of malware...are not necessarily removed when an individual malware item is removed.

Removing the poison dart doesn't do much to stop the flow of poison throughout the system...of a human. So it is (somewhat) with malware items.

The smart user eliminates malware from contention...so that a recognized "system problem" really turns out to be a "system problem."

As for the conjecture about Windows Update...I just have to ask, what's the logical premise for that one? Out of all the possible things that can contribute to a system not performing as it should...why hone in on that one?

Louis

To answer the OP: A repair install may not necessarily cure what's wrong with your system, it's just the next step that I envision in efforts to overcome whatever is wrong.

Edited by hamluis, 18 March 2009 - 05:58 PM.

#14 voros

voros

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:04 PM

As for the conjecture about Windows Update...I just have to ask, what's the logical premise for that one? Out of all the possible things that can contribute to a system not performing as it should...why hone in on that one?

Well how many things can load on your system without you knowing it that would break windows at login other than a piece of malicious software or new stuff from windows causing a conflict?

My parents used to get problems from new windows updates all the time.

As for the malware issue, I'm running AVG and a firewall. I have no idea whether that makes me protected or not but things have been known to sneak through I guess.

Edited by voros, 18 March 2009 - 06:08 PM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:42 PM

There is no known one product...AV program or otherwise...that can adequately protect a computer system from all the different types of malware.

There are antisypware programs...for a reason.

There are spyware programs...for a reason.

There other kinds of malware for which an AV resolution will not come until after the fact.

There are users who don't care to practice safe computing...users who choose to use P2P programs and visit dubious websites...without adequate system protection or user care.

In other words...any user who thinks that he/she can rely on a single program...to offset human weaknesses and inadequate coverage...is not dealing with reality, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users