Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 8-bit

8-bit

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:25 AM

Ive been trying out various driver releases for my Radeon x800 card in order to play a particular video game. I got through a few drivers by trying one, uninstalling then trying another but I now find I can't install any at all. I've uninstalled the drivers, removed the card from the device list and restarted my pc. The auto detect kicks in, finds my card and then asks for drivers. As I don't actually have the driver file itself but instead run the install program that I downloaded from the card makers website. After the program has done its thing I get a little message bubble appear in Windows telling me my card is not installed and my may not work not work properly. Ive retried several times but still have the same problem. Maybe if I could some how get how of just the driver file I could point windows to it, I just don't know. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smithsam

Smithsam

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:52 AM

try this
http://www.nodevice.com/driver/Radeon_X800/get44369.html

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

"Ive been trying out various driver releases for my Radeon x800 card in order to play a particular video game."

You don't mention which game but do a google search for the name of the game & "System requirements" .

Many of the newer games require "Pixel shader 3" which the X800 doesn't have.
The X800 series has Pixel Shader 2.

Installing drivers will not fix this.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for the replies. The game is Portal by Valve. I've given up on it now. I'll try Team Fortress 2 as soon as I have enough disk space!! :s

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:28 PM

I looked up the requirements to play Portal .

1.7 GHz processor,
512 MB RAM,
DirectX 8 compatible video card,
Windows 2000/XP/Vista

If your PC meets the rest of the requirements there is no reason your Radeon X800 shouldn't work .

If you meet all of the requirements the only thing I can think of to try is to update your DirectX

Try updating your DirectX,

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directxdownload.html

Save to My Documents & then install
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:48 PM

many thanks, will try now :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users