Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with repair WinXP

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Flegias

Flegias

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:54 AM

Two days ago WinXP didn't start and I had this errore message:

Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate

I followed the procedure linked here: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben...mp;x=18&y=9 but when I tried to execute these commands:
md tmp
copy etc.

I had an "access denied" message.

Then I run the chkdsk /p /r command and Windows started again until today with the same error. I run the chkdsk /p /r command again successfully.

But I don't want to do this procedure every 2 days. Should I follow the Microsoft procedure? But how can I get rid of the access denied message?

Note. I think it isn't a good solution to restore a recovery point from the recovery console because:
1) the last restore point was created yesterday
2) The others (if presents because they should be deleted) are surely infeceted.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:38 AM

Try using the Last Known Good Configuration.

When the computer is starting, repeatedly tap the F8 key, this should take you to the Windows Advanced Options Menu, once this opens click on Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked).

If this doesn't solve the problem you should do a repair installation, this will not effect your data.

Note: The system repair function will remove any updates you have previously installed that are not included on the CD. Drivers will also be reverted to their original XP versions, as well as some settings (network & performance settings may sometimes be reset to their defaults). It may be necessary to reactivate your Windows XP as well. When finished, you will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update, because they are all replaced during repair.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

Edited by dc3, 08 August 2009 - 10:43 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Flegias

Flegias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:16 AM

The Last Known Good Configuration doesn't solve the problem.

The computer is a notebook and Winxp is a preinstalled version.
I have a cd of Windows Xp Pro licensed but when I'll do the repair install and I'll do the activation, a license will be used right?

Thank you!

#4 Smithsam

Smithsam

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:29 AM

try this link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830084

#5 Flegias

Flegias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:26 AM

Try using the Last Known Good Configuration.

When the computer is starting, repeatedly tap the F8 key, this should take you to the Windows Advanced Options Menu, once this opens click on Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked).

If this doesn't solve the problem you should do a repair installation, this will not effect you data.

Note: The system repair function will remove any updates you have previously installed that are not included on the CD. Drivers will also be reverted to their original XP versions, as well as some settings (network & performance settings may sometimes be reset to their defaults). It may be necessary to reactivate your Windows XP as well. When finished, you will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update, because they are all replaced during repair.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

Does the Repair Install alterate the Desktop folder? I have many important files in there.

try this link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830084

As described in the first post I used the chkdsk /p /r command and now also this command isn't able to start windows no more.

#6 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:11 AM

To get past the "Access Denied" message you need to just rename the system file and then restart the computer and then you will be able to carry out the commands.

So the commands inside the recovery console would be (in bold):
Change into directory:
cd \windows\system32\config
Rename the system file to system.bak:
ren system system.bak
Restart the PC:
exit

The you have access in the recvoery console. But don't forget to rename your system file back to normal but I think you will be replacing it anyway during the procedure.

Edited by JJ2K, 18 March 2009 - 10:13 AM.

#7 Flegias

Flegias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:45 AM

To get past the "Access Denied" message you need to just rename the system file and then restart the computer and then you will be able to carry out the commands.

So the commands inside the recovery console would be (in bold):
Change into directory:
cd \windows\system32\config
Rename the system file to system.bak:
ren system system.bak
Restart the PC:
exit

The you have access in the recvoery console. But don't forget to rename your system file back to normal but I think you will be replacing it anyway during the procedure.

Thank you for your help but it's too late.

I choose for the Repair Install option but I restart this procedure 4 times because it stops during the installation of the devices at about 35 minutes remaining.
I disabled every device from BIOS exept for the optical drive.

The installation still stops with 35 minutes remaining.

:thumbsup:

#8 Flegias

Flegias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:23 AM

I've checked the setupApi.log and the installation stops after the installation of USB. If I find the way to save the log on an USB pen or external drive I post it. I don't have a floppy drive.

#9 Flegias

Flegias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:50 AM

Here's the setupapi.log
These are the last lines:

[2009/03/17 04:43:43 520.202 Driver Install]
#-019 Ricerca di ID hardware in corso... usb\root_hub20&vid8086&pid283a&rev0003,usb\root_hub20&vid8086&pid283a,usb\root_hub20
#-198 Riga di comando elaborata: C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe -setup
#I022 Trovato "USB\ROOT_HUB20" in C:\WINDOWS\inf\usbport.inf; Periferica: "Hub principale USB"; Driver: "Hub principale USB"; Provider: "Microsoft"; Mfg: "(Controller host USB standard)"; Nome sezione: "ROOTHUB.Dev"
#I023 Sezione di installazione effettiva: [ROOTHUB.Dev.NT]. Ordine: 0x00000002. Data driver effettiva: 07/01/2001.
#-166 Funzione di installazione periferica: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.
#I063 Il driver selezionato installa dalla sezione [ROOTHUB.Dev] a "c:\windows\inf\usbport.inf".
#I320 Il GUID della classe della periferica rimane: {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}.
#I060 Impostato driver selezionato.
#I058 Selezionato driver con massima compatibilitÓ.
#-166 Funzione di installazione periferica: DIF_INSTALLDEVICEFILES.
#I124 Installazione solo della copia di USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&DEF2E52&0 in corso.
#-166 Funzione di installazione periferica: DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS.
#I056 Co-installazione registrata.
#-166 Funzione di installazione periferica: DIF_INSTALLINTERFACES.
#-011 Installazione in corso sezione [ROOTHUB.Dev.NT.Interfaces] da "c:\windows\inf\usbport.inf".
#I054 Interfacce installate.
#-166 Funzione di installazione periferica: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.
#I123 Installazione completa di USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&DEF2E52&0 in corso...
#I121 L'installazione della periferica "USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&DEF2E52&0" Ŕ stata completata.

Attached Files

Edited by Flegias, 19 March 2009 - 05:49 AM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:56 PM

Have you read http://techtracer.com/2007/03/12/xp-instal...-minute-hiccup/ ?

Louis

#11 Flegias

Flegias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:29 AM

Thank you but I've already read that how-to!

I decided to reinstall windows and the setup went well.
It seems the problem occurs only with the Repair Install.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:55 AM

That would seemingly indicate that something was wrong with your existing partition and/or file structure, IMO.

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#13 Flegias

Flegias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:35 AM

Yes, the partition was surely damaged! Hope it isn't a HDD problem.

Thank you guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users