Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

overclocking hypertransport AND the memory? isnt this redundant?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chopficaro

chopficaro

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:11 PM

ok i oc'd a couple p35 boards and u could oc the fsb and the memory which made sense because the fsb was also attached to the graphics card. but apparently amd boards let u oc the hypertransport AND the memory? but isnt this redundant? doing the same thing? this makes no sense to me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:34 PM

I dont understand why anyone would want to overclock to begin with, so im not sure about that, but i have indeed heard that as well, but I dont know how to do it, I never recomend overclocking and all my builds I do for customers I tell them that overclocking voids my garrenty.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:37 PM

I have my 2.66\1066 OC'd to 3.2\1280.

The memory & video were automatically OC'd when I increased the front bus .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 chopficaro

chopficaro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:17 AM

im sorry i didnt mean to talk about memory, i was confused. what i meant to say was that both the north bridge and the hypertransport are in the way of the graphix card, and im not sure where the bottleneck usually is

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:52 AM

Overclocking can be simple & mild or extreme.

A simple overclock would be to raise the front bus only.
Most systems that have OCing features will allow about a 20% OC by simply increasing the front bus.
When that is done usually the memory & video card are automatically OC'd to "keep up" .

For a more extreme OG some motherboards have features that allow you to unlock the video card from the CPU & set the video manually.
The boards that have good OC features will also allow you to manually set the memory .
They also allow you to set the front bus & vcore [CPU] voltage.
If a CPU has a unlocked multiplier they also allow it to be changed.

Keep in mind that OCing raises some heat concerns.
The faster components work the more heat they generate.
The more voltage that is applied to a component the hotter it gets.

Overclocking is mostly a matter of trial & error.
[This can involve clearing the CMOS many times]

The biggest problem is that 2 identical units will OC differently !

If you are interesyed in overclocking I suggest you start here,

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1804
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users