Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ac97 audio suddenly stopped working

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

my ac'97 audio installed fine with windows 7, from the start...didnt need any drivers after the install...then all of a sudden i booted and its non functional, i tried updating driver(through device manager), it did... that didnt fix it, then i used the vista driver for it....that didtn fix it...?
Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:26 PM

Hello!

The first step here is to go ahead and check the service Windows Audio.

Do you know how to do this?

Windows Audio should be set to
Startup type: Automatic
Make sure it is Started!

#3 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

the service is working fine..what else could cause this?
Posted Image

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:05 PM

Have you installed any audio enabled applications? They could be incompatible with Windows 7 and could cause this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:08 PM

Agreeing with Usasma... please check compatibility with Windows 7. Do you know how to do this?

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

Is this build 7000 of the Windows 7 beta? Some of the later builds are not exactly very stable.

3939.png

#7 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:27 PM

Note: later builds are also illegal for download, and considered pirated, if not authorized by Microsoft first.

#8 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:40 PM

I just checked the database to find this potential solution: Driver Page for AC'97 Drivers

The page says it has the latest driver, one that was update 2-17-2009.

#9 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:11 PM

this is build 7000 and the driver upgrade from the site you gave me, didnt ifx the problem! jeeze...should i just re-format?
Posted Image

#10 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:18 PM

I would say to get a new sound card, one that will work with Windows 7. I have read other forums about this problem, and re-install did not fix the problem.

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:51 AM

Purchasing a new sound card to run beta software is a little extreme at this point. If the sound card worked before there is some level of compatibility with Windows 7. Have you tried the R1.14 drivers or picking the drivers manually from the list in "add hardware"? Some people are having the exact same issues you are having and suggest using them. Can you confirm, if you were to boot into another OS, that the sound card is able to work? When the OS is officially released, compatibility may go up. Remember, this is a beta so issues are to be expected.

3939.png

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:53 AM

It's not just the drivers that may be at issue. Rather it can be incompatible software that is addressing the sound card in an unacceptable way. Do you have any other audio aware applications installed?

Even uninstalling the other apps may not fix things (even if they are at fault) - and it may require removing the audio drivers and installing fresh one's just to see.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:31 PM

With all due respect DJBPace07, I did not say to get it now. I would recommend getting a new sound card for the actual release. Sorry for not clarifying, as I mean't to say that if you are planning to get Windows 7 at release time, I would recommend buying a new sound card -- or waiting it out to see if compatibility gets better.

I am thinking you may be missing a CODEC, which may be reliant on a certain service that may not be running. That was the issue I had back in Windows Vista toward the beginning of the final release, was a service causing a conflict with Audio. To find out, the hidden service Windows Audio Endpoint Builder (PID 1248) was not enabled. I also had a similar audio conflict in AudioDG.exe, which was easily solved thereafter.

I once again agree with Usasma, as the fact that certain software may be sending the wrong signals and possibly locking the drivers or making them incompatible. As Realtek stated on their website help, the drivers were tested and should work with Vista 64 Bit and Windows 7.

#14 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

Ahh...I thought you meant to get it now. After a quick websearch, the audio issues with AC'97 are not uncommon with Windows 7. For some users, the newer drivers don't work or there is an issue with driver initialization. Oddly though, after reading through some of the searches, users have reported that the audio driver is correct, but it is misidentifying the audio hardware. A few users have tried Vista drivers from several months ago with success. Compatibility should be better at launch. Codec issues should have manifested themselves earlier when you ran audio playback software. You could try running your audio files in an alternate media player like VLC to check.

3939.png

#15 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:24 PM

Check this out: March 10 article of Windows 7
States Windows 7 will be released early due to Hardware compatibility issues...believable?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users