Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

startup cant find desktop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ElTilicon

ElTilicon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

I origianaly posted about search links being redirected, couldn't install or run malwarebytes or superspyware. After reading a bunch of posts with similar problems, I took it upon myself to run combofix. That seemed to work, all search links worked even after several reboots. Until I decided to do some preventative maintenance:

1. Installed and ran malwarebytes and superspyware

2. went into regedit and deleted 2 objects in one of the : software\microsoft\...... run or runonce
(i dont remember exactly what or where from)

One of the two probally the latter cuased
upon normal reboot to recieve BIG RED X saying:
LOCATION IS NOT AVAILABLE
c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is not accessible

Bottom right next to clock a bubble pops up and reads:
Failed to connect to a windows service
windows could not connect to the User Profile Service
this problem prevents limited users from logging onto system..

I get a BLACK desktop, a small recycle bin and start is there I click it opens everything is there but nothing happens when I click on them.

I'm running Vista Home SP1.
I can start in SAFE MODE only, I can not install update from my original CD in safe mode.
Repair from CD didnt work either.
In safe mode all my files and folders are there and I have access to everything safe mode allows.

I hope I gave enogh info.

Thank you for your time....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smithsam

Smithsam

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:48 AM

i would like to suggest to create the new user account

#3 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:33 AM

Hey,

Please say you backed up your registry before deleting things?
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#4 ElTilicon

ElTilicon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:14 PM

I tried a new user account and it starts up the same way black desktop and recycle bin. safe mode works the way supposed to.

I really messed up by not backing up registry before making changes. (HUGE MISTAKE) :huh:

I can still backup all my important documents/files to a usb flash in safe mode and transfer to my other computer, Then do a clean install.

But if I can avoid that by replacing whatever is missing (file or value) which starts User Profile Service at startup.

your input is greatly appreciated.

#5 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:36 PM

Yep a big mistake indeed! :huh:

Unless you can remember the keys that where deleted i don't think this can be fixed. - If we knew what they key was we could try and recreate it.

Enter Safe Mode and try running a System Restore. ----> worth a shot :huh:
~ E-Mu ~

#6 ElTilicon

ElTilicon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:49 PM

System restore could not find any restore points.
Luckly I can still backup my important stuff with a usb flash.
I guess I will do a clean install.

Someone once said, " Confidence is the feeling you get before you F somthing up"

I felt sooo confident after i fixed the malware problem. :huh:

Thanks for your time and help....

#7 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:21 AM

Someone once said, " Confidence is the feeling you get before you F somthing up

So true!

If you ever need to make changes to your registry i would suggest to seek help from someone who knows what they are doing.

As you have seen, one wrong move and everything's messed up.

A great registry back-up tool that I've personally used ERUNT.
~ E-Mu ~

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

FWIW - a search through my Vista registry for "windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop" didn't find anything.
The folder itself does exist on my system - and contains a lot of OS specific stuff.

Since you can't boot into Normal mode you can't do a repair install of Vista ( http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-re...tall-vista.html )

Since you're able to boot into Safe Mode, but not Normal mode, we'll have to figure out what is different between the two (that's a lot) - then try some research to see if we can figure out what's causing it.

Since we're not sure about the status of your hard drive, let's check that first. Here's a link to a topic with links to the most common hard drive manufacturer's tools: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/ Use a bootable diagnostic to avoid having to work in Windows (as the installer most likely won't work in Safe Mode).

Edited by usasma, 19 March 2009 - 07:40 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users