Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FileFix Professional 2009

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tom5683

tom5683

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

Last week I was infected with some sort of nasty virus / malware / or browswer hijack. After running many rounds of Malware Bytes, Supert Anti-Spyware, and Adaware, I was able to get rid of all known infections. However, one thing that has been consistent and I that I have been unable to get rid of, is a notification that pops up on my system tray showing saying that my Office, picture and music files have been corrupted. If you click on the pop up system tray it takes you to a website www.filefixpro.com and wants you to download FileFix Professional 2009 and register the program for $80 to fix the files. It has actually corrupted all my word, excel, powerpoint, jpg, and pdf files. This infection has also corrupts anything that comes in as an e-mail attachment. I am assuming that this infection has applied some sort on encryption on my files and that their program will un-encrypt them. I have been searching the web all week and have only found a handful of other users on another forum with this issue. Anybody, please help, I would love to get all my files back!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

Download Process Explorer and Autoruns
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
Open each and see if you can find filefix.exe and disable what you find
Then update Malwarebytes and run a full scan
Post back with the results

Update: tutorial just added for Filefix
Unfortunately, It will not fix any files already encrypted by Filefix
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...ml#entry1184170

Edited by garmanma, 19 March 2009 - 06:02 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users