Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Windows Explorer Crash

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Marc2912

Marc2912

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:22 PM

I seem to have a problem with Vista. While using my computer windows explorer crashes. I realize this when trying to switch app in the taskbar. I have to restart it. Windows does not report any problem. It just restarts works for a while and crashes again.

I use Vista with all the latest updates.

I run:
AVG
Roboform
utorrent

and whatever I'm using when this happens, firefox, thunderbird, ie, it doesn't matter.

I researched it online and found nothing that could solve my problem, any advice???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

Hello. Below is an HMOS error report.

Technical name: StackHash_170a Faulting Module ***bdc9
App name: Windows Explorer explorer.exe
Problem: Windows Explorer has stopped responding...Restarting

DEP: On, usually alerts.

Current fix: System File Checker - Click for tutorial

#3 Marc2912

Marc2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:34 AM

Ran SFC.exe as stated in tutorial. No files where changed. System still crashes.

Thanks for the try, anything else?

#4 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:05 AM

Windows Explorer is an important file to keep, without it, you have to use the Process Manager to be able to navigate through Windows.
  • Check for updates from Microsoft Update, and please run a virus/spyware quick scan. I do not need any logs, this may not be the issue.
  • Run CHKDSK. Right click on My Computer and choose manage. Click on Disk Management--then right click on C: and select properties. Click the tools tab and click Check now under the Error Checking Category. In the options listed, make sure all are checked. This will ask you to run the CHKDSK at next restart.
  • Disable context menu extensions and Explorer add-ons by using a free software ShellExView. The program is user-friendly!
  • Type wercon in your Start Menu Search bar and hit enter to open the Problem Reports & Solutions Center. In RHS panel click on View Problem History and navigate to where the problems for Explorer.exe may be mentioned. Double click on the report to open it and see if anything there helps you.

If all else fails...next stop: malware scan or re-install Windows!

#5 Marc2912

Marc2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:08 AM

I run AVG daily and ccleaner & spybot weekly. I just ran everything again. All clean.
ChkDsk came out clean.
Disabled the few things with ShellExView that were active but it's a pretty clean install.
wercon.exe could not find any solution for my over 30 listed crash of windows explorer.

Still crashing here....

Don't know what to do.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:32 PM

It would help if you could give us some information about the crashes. There will be error messages about it in your Event Viewer (in the Application and/or System log files).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Marc2912

Marc2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:47 PM

Here is some of the info I could find
The program explorer.exe version 6.0.6001.18164 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: 1574 Start Time: 01c9a4c2ff109045 Termination Time: 36

Event ID 1002

Jere I also found this for you from problem report and solution screen

Product
Windows Explorer

Problem
Stopped responding and was closed

Date
3/14/2009 12:36 PM

Status
Report Sent

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppHangXProcB1
Application Name: Explorer.EXE
Application Version: 6.0.6001.18164
Application Timestamp: 4907e242
Hang Signature: 7ce1
Hang Type: 128
Waiting on Application Name: svchost.exe:AudioClientRpc
Waiting on Application Version: 0.0.0.0
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 1: 9224369711237709974176f646a5196a
Additional Hang Signature 2: 67a3
Additional Hang Signature 3: e904f1b372daeebc03218e7628a74682
Additional Hang Signature 4: 7ce1
Additional Hang Signature 5: 9224369711237709974176f646a5196a
Additional Hang Signature 6: 67a3
Additional Hang Signature 7: e904f1b372daeebc03218e7628a74682

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 386694361

Edited by Marc2912, 18 March 2009 - 04:52 PM.

#8 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:01 PM

Explorer.exe crashing AppHangXProcB1

Potential causes of the problem:
  • Sleep mode has delayed interaction with Explorer.exe upon wake up. Do you have sleep mode enabled or have had problems with a hanging of Windows when woke up from sleep?
  • Windows Indexing service delays interaction between Explorer.exe and applications, causing Application hang. Please set the Indexing Service to Manual and stop the service. Do you know how to stop the Indexing Service?
  • AudioRPC: Audio driver is out of date, invalid, or damaged. Please contact your manufacturer or seek help on getting the proper audio driver, which is updated, for your computer!
If you have any problems with the above information, please post your questions in your next reply!

EDIT: Please do all solutions marked RED. Please answer the green marked questions!

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 18 March 2009 - 08:06 PM.

#9 Marc2912

Marc2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:38 PM

disabled indexing service. Did have some problems on certain occasion with sleep mode. Crashes do not happen @ same time as entering / leaving sleep mode. Did not have problem with audio driver but re-installed fresh copy. Will let you know if problem persist or was fixed.

#10 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

Please keep in mind that I asked to set the Indexing service to Manual, not disabled. It was fine that you stopped the service, but disabling it is not recommended. If Windows Disk Management needs to use the Indexing service, for maybe a search of your files, the Indexing service must be set to manual. If Indexing Service causes any problems in the future, then a Disable might be recommended.

#11 Marc2912

Marc2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:58 AM

changed to manual, thanks for the reminder.

#12 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:34 PM

I was only making sure we do not cause more issues, as we are trying to solve one currently.

What is the progress of this situation, my friend?

#13 Marc2912

Marc2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

No crash as of now but my computer will no longer go in sleep mode. Screen goes black, but it doesn't switch off. All I have to do is move the mouse and it returns me to the logon screen. Hard drive doesn't stop spinning, CPU still active. I have to use hibernate or shutdown. Problematic since I take my laptop everywhere.

Weirdness.

#14 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

The Indexing Service seemed to have calmed the issue, but it looks like you have some power problems.

It looks like we are going back to the post where I said that Sleep Mode delays interaction with the desktop, which could mean a Sleep mode failure.

Have you ever had any 'serious' malware, viruses, or spyware on your computer? The reason for knowing this is because the host process for Sleep mode may have been modified and not fixed IF you have had severe threats in the past. If this is the case, then a minor fix can be instituted.

Other side of the tracks, we will diagnose and solve Power Options. I am sure we can change a few settings and may be that was the issue.

Let us not confuse ourselves, go ahead and let me know if you had any past severe threats and we will then move on! :huh:

Edit: Please see this page for the potential first fix. The issue I have saw here is that sleep mode may have been disabled if Hibernation is in a reduced state. It seems as if the hiberfil.sys has reduced its own file size on your machine. We need to turn hibernate back on all the way.

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 19 March 2009 - 07:28 PM.

#15 Marc2912

Marc2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

Never had malware, virsus or spyware on this laptop. I use it mostly for java, php and xhtml developing. No problem with the hibernation feature. It shows up and works fine, just sleep mode is not working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users