Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DOA laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:22 PM

Gateway MX8711. No lights, No Bells, No ghost in the machine.. Tried new battery, tried new power brick, Tried Removing Cmos Battery, Tried Removing HDD (not sure why was running out of things to unplug) Still nothing. The Laptop was left unattended plugged in for several weeks in a Brown out (temporary loss of AC power) Prone Area. The owner returned aprox 21 days later to find the Laptop Dead. The laptop was NOT plugged into a surge supression strip or into a UPS. The laptop is just a few weeks past Warranty (naturally). I am thinking its a dead motherboard but I am new to stripping laptops. Anything else I should try first. I also have the directions on how to Dissasemble the laptop.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:35 PM

I'm not a pro on laptops, but it sounds like a dead motherboard. I doubt the processor would die, and if it did, the motherboard probably went with it anyway.

I think a brown out is worse on electronics then power just shutting off. If it was receiving a little electricity, but not enough to fully power it, it probably burnt out some components, and the motherboard may be one of them.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:41 PM

I would say either motherboard or power supply.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:04 AM

I would say either motherboard or power supply.

He replaced the battery and external power supply, or as he referred to it "the brick". :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

wellll the replacement coulda been DOA. lol no jk that would mean in my opinion motherboard, I just posted the first two things that came to mind, power supply and motherboard-since he already said he replaced that that means to disregard the PSU. :thumbsup:

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users