Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java is very confusing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:09 PM

While I was in Add/Remove Programs today to reinstall Norton Internet Security, I saw a couple of things that I plan to ditch. But I also noticed that I have three versions of Java. I know I want to get rid of two of them. I just want to make sure I get rid of the right versions. I assume that I should keep Java 6 Update 11 and get rid of Update 5 and Update 7. Please confirm and that is exactly what I will do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Axegrinder

Axegrinder

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:45 PM

Yes that is correct, ditch update 5 and 7 and keep update 6/11 - will clear up a couple of 100mb :thumbsup:

#3 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:17 PM

If you're in the process of cleaning up and updating things, the newest released version of Java is Version 6 Update 12. You don't need any earlier versions or updates on your computer.

http://www.java.com

If you do download and install it (Version 6 Update 12), be sure to uncheck any of the proffered "extras" (e.g., toolbars) that you might not want/need.

#4 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:34 AM

Nah, I'll probably do that only if I have to. Java is one of those things that's just there and is useful only occasionally. Thanks guys.

#5 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:36 AM

I would strongly advise you to download Java Version 6 Update 12 to help protect yourself from malware/spyware/viruses.

Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.
Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
  • Go to Java SE Downloads and locate JRE 6 Update 12.
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform.
  • Select your Language.
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • Click Continue and the page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u12-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#6 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:00 PM

Done. I had some other stuff to uninstall so I decided to try Revo. It works very well.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:48 PM

When you said "done", did you mean that you installed the latest version or that you had just uninstalled the previous versions?

Reason I am asking is that someone else posted that the latest version really slowed their system down and I am wondering if it did that to yours if you installed it.

I agree that java is confusing, I thought I had it on my system, I thought all systems had it, but I cannot find anything showing that I do. Since I have been running this system for a year, apparently without java, I am wondering what it is even needed for.

#8 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:58 PM

Java is a programming language expressly designed for use in the distributed environment of the Internet. It was designed to have the "look and feel" of the C++ language, but it is simpler to use than C++ and enforces an object-oriented programming model. Java can be used to create complete applications that may run on a single computer or be distributed among servers and clients in a network. It can also be used to build a small application module or applet for use as part of a Web page. Applets make it possible for a Web page user to interact with the page.

~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:15 PM

Thanks E-Mu

Since I have yet to run into any website that I cannot use, I guess it is not necessary for me to have it. Since it seems to put people at risk, sounds like I am better off without it.

When I load one game that I play there is always a thing on top that pops up saying that "This site might require the following Active X control, Jave™ SE runtime environment 6 update 5 from Sun Microsystems Inc., click here to install". I have never installed it, I just click the X on that warning and the game plays fine without it. Other than that, I have never had anything tell me I need it.

#10 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

When you said "done", did you mean that you installed the latest version or that you had just uninstalled the previous versions?

Reason I am asking is that someone else posted that the latest version really slowed their system down and I am wondering if it did that to yours if you installed it.

I agree that java is confusing, I thought I had it on my system, I thought all systems had it, but I cannot find anything showing that I do. Since I have been running this system for a year, apparently without java, I am wondering what it is even needed for.

Both. I've never had a problem with it. It's one of those things I keep around in case it's needed but it's not needed very often.

#11 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:21 PM

Thanks Frank, I was wondering if it slowed your system down in case I should decide to install it. I am glad to know that it did not

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users