Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard disk Defrag

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 John2

John2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:37 PM

I do not have 15% of the C: partition available for defrag. I do however have enough space on the D: partition of the hard drive to hold the entire content of the C: partition. Can I copy the C: partition to the D: partition then copy it back?
Will it copy it back in contguously?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

What are the contents of both the C: and the D: partition?
I do not think that copying the contents of C to D will help in the defragmentation process of C, since you will end up, even if you copy the contents correctly, with a defragged C drive after all the work---if you copy a defragged group of files, they will not somehow become contiguous just because they are being copied back.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:28 PM

just try to unstall some programs you dont use often, and compress pics, vids, and documents and save them to a cd or dvd and delete them. it could end up giving alot of space in you hard drive so you can defrag.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

I second tylerisdabest's suggestion - take some steps to create sufficient space on the C: drive. Clear out anything that takes up unnecessary space on the drive and temporarily transfer data files to D:

In principle, you can defragment a volume by copying its contents and returning them to the empty drive. This is the recommended procedure for an Apple, which doesn't have a native defragmentation utility. But the trick is the drive must start out empty to be sure the files are copied back contiguously. If your C: drive is the system drive, it's not practical to completely empty it of system files.

Also, a defragmenter can do more than just rendering files contiguous, as regards the optimum location of files on the drive - just copying files back is not likely to place them in the best position for system performance.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

Now I think further, the drive would need to be re-formatted to ensure files are copied back contiguously, so this makes it even less practical for a system drive.

#6 John2

John2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:36 AM

Thanks Folk, I will clean up the C drive to make the space.

#7 John2

John2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:06 PM

Well, I removed enough clutter to get to 19% disk space for the defragment. The total fragmentation was 28% when the defrag was done the total fragmentation was 23% and I have a list of 30 or more files that could not be defragmented. fragments run from 300 up to over 7500 fragments. Waht can I do about those files?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:15 PM

What makes you think you need to do anything about them?

The Windows defag function doesn't touch certain types of files. Among these are metafiles, the pagefile, and the hiberfil.sys file. Which does not mean that those files need to be defragged.

Rather than bore you with a lot of words, the following chart illustrates some of the features offered by 3d-party defraggers which some of us use (I use PD). This doesn't mean that the Windows defrag function doesn't do the job...it just means that these programs offer features that some of us are willing to pay for and use.

http://www.perfectdisk.com/products/busine...ssional/compare

FWIW: http://pcsupport.about.com/b/2008/09/26/do-you-defrag.htm

Louis

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,463 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:03 PM

Did you do the Disk Cleanup before Defrag, or even manually like empty Recycle, clear Temporary Internet Files etc?

One thing to try is defrag in Safe Mode, but as hamluis says, it's not unusual to have several files that cannot be processed by the Windows defragmenter.

A capable free alternative defragmentation utility that I've used is Auslogics:

http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag

#10 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:06 PM

also there is many more tools and procedures you could use to make you pc faster. like clotted up start up. try start>run>msconfig and post a few pics of whatís on startup.

p.s:
You donít have to do this but it could help.

#11 John2

John2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:48 PM

Could you tell me how to gwt Pics of msconfig?

#12 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:15 PM

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot

Edited by Orange Blossom, 27 March 2009 - 09:54 PM.
Edited link text so it would make better sense. ~ OB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users