Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HDD Causes WMP11 to use 50%CPU

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lucifon

lucifon

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:09 PM

Hi there,

I got my Western Digital MyBook today. I placed 90% of my music onto it and left some of the newer stuff on my PC's hard drive. However I noticed now everytime I fire up WMP it starts to use between 30 and 50% CPU, and also the light on the MyBook is moving which indicates the drive is in use.

I'm guessing its something to do with WMP monitoring the External Drive constantly to keep the library updated, but I can find no way to turn this off. Also I really dont think it should be using 50% CPU just to look at an external drive.

This occurs when I am not even listening to a song on the External Drive, so its not that. However I do not want to just constantly unplug the drive everytime I want to listen to a song or watch a video.

I'm usually pretty good at sorting this kind of thing out but this issue just has me totally baffled. Any help which allows me to keep my drive plugged in + use WMP?

EDIT : Its WMP 11 and I have a Pentium 3.2 D Dual Core processor which is why its only 50% rather than 100% im guessing

Edited by lucifon, 17 March 2009 - 02:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lucifon

lucifon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:11 PM

Solved so far:

I added my External Drive to the folders which WMP11 Scans for Media. I then did the full scan which took about 45 mins and used a ton of CPU in the process but after completion I've had no troubles since. The drive is still obviously being monitored when WMP is on as the light flashes on the front of it however the CPU usage of WMP is just completely normal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users