Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:31 PM

In my other topic, I discovered my board was bad and I need a new one. I can list my hardware, but I've never had to go out and buy a motherboard before, so I'm hoping for some good (budget?) recommendations.

AMD Atholon XP 3200+ 2200mhx
1gb ram (pc 2700), 1gb ram (pc 3200)
nVidia GeForce FX5500, 128mb
WD800JD (Caviar Blue) 80gb hdd
Belkin Wireless G Network Card

And I have one optical drive. But that's not a big worry. It's the stuff that sits on/in the motherboard that really powers your decision, right?

The only requirement, I suppose is it has to be ATX (30.5 x 22.4 - my previous board), and AMD Socket-A compatible.

Who do you guys trust?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Axegrinder

Axegrinder

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:51 PM

That CPU is socket A and is getting long in the tooth, thus the boards arent really manufactured much any more, ebay is worth a look though.

Edited by Axegrinder, 17 March 2009 - 02:52 PM.

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

Right. But is there a brand or model of motherboard you guys like to use? A consensus (like there is about using Avira over McAfee, for example) on the board about who's best - even for used, long-in-the-tooth hardware?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

Asus or Gigabyte are my preferred brands. Most Socket A/Athlon chipsets are either NVidia (NForce2)or VIA, and I guess I am in the minority but I have had fewer problems with the VIA chipsets (KT333/KT400/KT600). As stated above, they aren't made anymore so you are limited to used or old stock parts.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:42 PM

I found one at Tigerdirect.com Its a PCchips while not the best brand its only 40 bucks. I have even at desperate times Used an ECS (Not Usually endorsed by Members here) board that still seems to be running ok, that or the lady lost my phone number. :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:47 PM

I used that particular PCchips board for a customer salvage job a little over a year ago. No problems yet. I bought it on Newegg (I think it was Newegg) and it was likely about the last they had in stock. Even back then it was the last of the Socket A boards you could get new.

Edited by dpunisher, 17 March 2009 - 08:50 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:03 PM

Probably be more worth it to get one of those mobo+processor combos I see for sale, and just put my old RAM and video card and HDD in it? Call the processor a wash?

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:05 PM

Probably be more worth it to get one of those mobo+processor combos I see for sale, and just put my old RAM and video card and HDD in it? Call the processor a wash?

Well, the problem is the RAM won't fit a newer board, same for the video card. If he wants to use his current components, he is locked into that type mobo. I look at broken PCs as a reason to upgrade.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:33 PM

I generally recomend Gigabyte or ASUS motherboards, especially if your buying them used. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:58 AM

Even though newer RAM would be necessary...newer RAM is actually cheaper (and, in some cases, is provided with the combo).

The speed increase and the reliability factor provided by newer parts would push me in the direction of an inexpensive motherboard/CPU combo, if money is the prime consideration.

IMO, it's certainly worth researching for a few minutes.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users