Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG scan detected reading error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kashinath

Kashinath

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:04 PM

My avg scanner detected a problem with C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. It was stated as reading error. Now i cannot open local disk© and local disk(D) by double clicking on the icon. when I right clicked on the icons the display that normaly shows open and explore are being shown as (0)*/+'3" and @#(-). I do not understand what the problem is. The only way for me to open the file is by using run. Please help me fix it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

My avg scanner detected a problem with C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. It was stated as reading error. Now i cannot open local diskę and local disk(D) by double clicking on the icon. when I right clicked on the icons the display that normaly shows open and explore are being shown as (0)*/+'3" and @#(-). I do not understand what the problem is. The only way for me to open the file is by using run. Please help me fix it.

HI Kashinath,

I myself have not come across this error before, hoping another person will advice alot better than myself !

it looks like a malware infection or something. if you are able to install a program and open up safe mode, please follwo these steps at you're own risk.

1) Download and install Spybot S+D
2) Download Super Anti Spyware
3) Install both (if allowing) then fully update.
4) boot into safe mode (if possible) and run both scanners.
5) this wil ltake around 30minutes to maximum of 5 hours depending on how infected and the size and speed of you're computer. let them scan and post back with a list of results.
6) This may not remove anything or detect anything but that is my advice take it as you wish and please respond ;)

-Chris'#

#3 Kashinath

Kashinath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:58 PM

Thanks chris. Problem solved. Now I can acess my files again. You have been a great help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users