Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does one need the alg.exe Service ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:32 AM

Hi,

I'm just wondering if I need the Application Layer Gateway Service to run. I'm not sure what it does but I hear it's related to Windows Firewall. I have Comodo installed, but I do not what to comprimise my system in any way.

I have it set up to Manual in services.msc, but it starts at every boot anyway.

From what I know I do not use ICS, I just connect via a wireless adapter to my livebox, this doesn't have nothing to do with ICS?

So can I change this to disabled? I'm just wondering if it is not needed then why is it starting up at every boot?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:10 AM

This may help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application-level_gateway

If you disable it, and everything works, leave it disabled. I have it enabled on my computer.

#3 JJ2K

JJ2K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:46 PM

Thanks Lawrence,

Well I've disabled it, and everything seems to be working.

By disabling this i'm not removing security or lowering my defence to attacks in any way? I use Comodo as my Firewall and afaik that disables the windows firewall anyway.

Why do you have it enabled on your computer?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:53 PM

No, you should not be affected. I sometimes use the WIndows Firewall, so anything related, I leave alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users