Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two error at boot up. no 80conductor... and cpu is unworkable.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 raf96

raf96

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:54 AM

Hi there.
Recently I fell on my PC, literally... (long story) :thumbsup:. at the same time i spilled some coffee on my keyboard. So... I changed a keyboard and everything seems to be working fine, but I get those two messages at boot up.

Secondary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed.
and
CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck-CPU soft menu.

Now like I said, everything seems to be working fine, but the error keeps coming up every time I restart my PC.
I think most likely it was a temporary disconnection of something due to an impact, but I wanted to ask, what do you guys think that I should do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:48 PM

I would remove and reseat everything-memory, all PCI and video cards (if applicable) and the CPU
Make sure all cable connections are tight and fully plugged in
Keep in mind to re-apply the thermal compound for the heatsink
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 raf96

raf96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:34 AM

Ok... i checked all the connections except for a CPU itself. The reason for it is I don't know how to remove the heat sink on top of it, (see attached photo).
Secondly, I don't have any thermal compound for the heat sink. I consider myself an illiterate when it comes to a motherboards hardware.Which brings me to some "clear things up for me " questions.

1. If I don't have this compound should I even play around with that heat sink?

2. 80 conductor cable- does it refer to a connection between a CPU and motherboard, or is it something else?

3. Can I just reset that error, so it won't come up anymore, or since it keeps coming up it means that the issue persists and needs to be remedied.

4. Can windows be somehow responsible? I don't think so, but I better mention that just in case. I'm at a point that I will soon be doing a windows reinstall.

Attached Files

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:48 AM

Check your IDE cable on your secondary IDE (likely your CD/DVD drives). Your motherboard thinks you have an older 40 conductor cable in place of a newer one, maybe due to being loose.

As for the second message about the CPU, go into BIOS and set the multiplier and FSB and save it. Check your CMOS battery as well. Is the time/date correct in the BIOS. A loose/bad battery will usually reset the time/date to whatever it feels like. I wouldn't try to physically check your CPU at this point as this looks to be a possible BIOS problem.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 raf96

raf96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:18 PM

Just to let you know...

aaight... multiplier factor was set to 12.5 and it wasn't adjustable
ext.clock was set to 166mhz
FSB/dram was set to "auto"
day/time set in bios was correct.
all "ribbon" connectors checked.

I played around with some figures in bios, but I did put them back as they were. I saved and...... it worked. [biggrin]
So technically I havent done a damn thing, but it worked... he he he... I love happy endings.

My next stop... C format... Damn... I'm getting annoyed just thinking about it :flowers: All those little damn programs, all the windows updates, start, restart, start ,restart, ... yup... we all love it... :thumbsup:

Anyways... Thanks a lot guys for your assistance, when it comes to ask someone for help with a PC, you guys are the best.

Thanks again... PEACE!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users