Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 difficulty?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 abx

abx

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:14 AM

Does anyone know whether Windows 7 will be closer in operation to Windows Vista or Windows XP? I still have Windows XP because I thought Windows Vista would be a whole new learning experience for me and I did not want to undertake all that new learning. Thank you. abx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:54 AM

Windows 7 is different from Vista, which is different from XP.
You're going to have to learn a new OS and the learning curve to Win7 won't be that much steeper than the learning curve to Vista.

For most people the transition will involve learning the differences for typing a document, sending email, using the internet browser, and navigating the OS to find your stuff.
This is fairly easy to do and haven't changed all that much from Windows XP. At work we've got people upgrading to Vista with the same concerns - and once they've started they're usually surprised at how easy it is.

So, in short, it depends on what you want to do with it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:50 PM

Coming from XP pro to Windows 7 wasn't as big of jump as I thought it would be. There are quite a few changes to the OS but they integrate seamlessly. My biggest snag so far is I don't like the new start menu. I am used to having everything I need at a moments click. I am sure it will only take some rearranging to get everything where I want it. The Task bar features are Awesome.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 vnvnvn2000

vnvnvn2000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:07 AM

I don't care much about windows. No matter how cool, fast, blinky windows 7,8,9 or 10 will be, I won't switch as long as it is closed source. I like poking around in code, adapt things to my needs, fix bugs I discover, talk with developers on irc. Well, I just love that productive community feeling and even earn money by adapting OS software for companies. Linux already has enough marked share so that almost all hardware is supported, what really is important is to fight for open document formats, open protocols and against software patents. Thats the only problem I see. In a perfect world without propriatery formats and idiotic patents everyone could use an operating system of his choice, share his data and play any media without trouble on any device. We are slowly moving towards that state, but there is still a long way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users