Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop - Router Connection

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sapsodifu

sapsodifu

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:14 AM

I recently received my dad's old Dell Laptop. Before I created my own username, logging on to his worked on my home network (Netgear WGR614v6). Once I created my own, it wouldn't recognize on my network. I've since reformatted (Reinstalled WinXP Pro SP3 and all the drivers) but am having the same problem. The router assigns an IP address, and I can ping the router and other computers in the network, but it will not connect me to any webpage (even the router's 192...). It also does not seem to want to recognize the device name in the 'attached devices' section.

Any suggestions or help would be awesome!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:56 AM

Are you having any trouble with any other computers on the network? How old is the Dell? Are you sure you have the right drivers for the NIC? Are you sure you have all the right services running? Are you sure you aren't blocking anything with the firewall? Is the IP address that is being assigned a proper network address?

#3 sapsodifu

sapsodifu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:04 AM

All the other computers on the network work totally fine. There is no firewall or anti-virus because it was just reformatted. How do I find out if the drivers are correct for the NIC? There are no yellow question marks in device manager. It does get assigned a proper IP address (192.168.1.x).

I don't know if this helps, but it worked at the community college I visit, but not the public library or in my house. I haven't really tried it anywhere else to know. Thoughts?

#4 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:55 AM

Ok so in your Device Manager nothing is wrong.... You get a private IP from your router, but still can't see web pages... Works in the community college and not the library... Hmmm.... You could possibly need a new NIC... I would say do a virus scan, but you said you reformatted and it still did it... You said you have no firewall... I would double check the services, and internet options.... Just to make sure nothing has been overlooked... If you have your internet settings for security set too high, that could be a possibility... You might have to browse through that... Or if it is set to work through only proxies, or something of the sort, that might have an effect... Nothing I can think of at this moment makes me think it will solve it... I would also check your system policies... Though it does make me wonder if there might be a board or rom virus.... Try the things I mentioned... if it still isn't working, I will rack my brain some more lol

#5 Desion

Desion

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:11 AM

Your Default Gateway isn't set correctly, make sure you set it as your router LAN IP. Example, your router is 192.168.1.1, you would use that for your default gateway.
Interesting Links:
Softpedia - Online downloads encyclopedia
W3Schools - Website Programming Tutorials
PC World - Everything about technology
Wikipedia - Online Encyclopedia
Photobucket - Free Image Hosting

"I don't support network bridges, they support me."

#6 sapsodifu

sapsodifu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:05 PM

I would rather not have to have a static IP and I do not know how to set my default gateway without one. I set one up temporarily, and the laptop showed up in the router's attached devices, but I will still not able to load ANYTHING.

How do I tell if all my drivers are installed properly if nothing comes up in device manager? How come I can log on to some networks but not others? I tried in both IE and FireFox and neither of which is proxied (they are both freshly installed). Its strange because before I reformatted it worked fine, but stopped when I created my own username on the computer (both before and after the reformat).

#7 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:01 AM

hhhmm it could be your default gateway, but if you have it set to automatically get your ip and what not, it shouldn't have a problem... Though I would take a look at the connection and make sure the default gateway is correct, and also make sure your dns ips are correct... Other then that the only other thing I could think of would be permissions, but if it were a problem with permissions you wouldn't be able to see anything anywhere... So I would double check your default gateway, and the dns servers...

#8 sapsodifu

sapsodifu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:46 AM

How do I check to see if my DNS IPs are correct? What would they be set to on a reformat? How come the laptop works plugged into the LAN?

#9 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:54 AM

if you have your network configured to automatically set it, which is default, all you have to do is go to your network connections right click on the connection, choose properties, then go to the second tab, and click details... It will show you all the ips there...

#10 sapsodifu

sapsodifu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

Ok. It is assigning a 192.168.1.3 for my laptop to the 192.168.1.1 router. It is also giving me the default 255... gateway.

I noticed that the network ID box on my desktop (which is wireless) cannot be clicked on while it can on the laptop...could this be part of the difference?

#11 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

Please explain a little better not being able to click on the network id box... Do you mean the ip in the router connections? or the Mac Address? Did you check and make sure you are getting a DNS ? Otherwise it seems fine... Also the gateway, should be your routers ip address, 255.255.255.0 should be your subnet mask.. Another thing, what kind of wireless are you using ... i.e. 802.11b/g/n?

Edited by burn1337, 21 March 2009 - 06:08 PM.

#12 sapsodifu

sapsodifu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:29 AM

On my desktop (with a wireless card in it), when I right click on my computer>properties>computer name there is a faded square that says network ID. My desktop will not let me click on that box, but on my laptop that box is clickable and it opens a "Network Identification Wizard." I tried both options of business and personal work with the workgroup option (instead of domain).

Is it weird that I can ping 192.168.1.1 through command but I cannot get on through either a firefox or IE browser?

On my desktop (with a wireless card in it), when I right click on my computer>properties>computer name there is a faded square that says network ID. My desktop will not let me click on that box, but on my laptop that box is clickable and it opens a "Network Identification Wizard." I tried both options of business and personal work with the workgroup option (instead of domain).

I am using the b/g wireless that is built into the computer. Is it weird that I can ping 192.168.1.1 through command but I cannot get on through either a firefox or IE browser?

Edited by sapsodifu, 22 March 2009 - 04:31 AM.

#13 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:20 AM

Not anymore its not weird... You are so far one of three that I have seen just in the past week... Check your DNS servers, make sure they are all identified, or try using some other DNS, or try doing a virus and spyware scan (I recommend AVG or Avast, and Adware)... Also the Network Id, is for network logging, say to a server for personal data or what not...

#14 Desion

Desion

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:39 AM

Ok. It is assigning a 192.168.1.3 for my laptop to the 192.168.1.1 router. It is also giving me the default 255... gateway.

I noticed that the network ID box on my desktop (which is wireless) cannot be clicked on while it can on the laptop...could this be part of the difference?

Like Burn1337 mentioned in a post above, the 255.255.255.0 should not be your default gateway, it should be your subnet mask. Change your default gateway to your router IP Address, in your case, 192.168.1.1. After making the above corrections, it should work fine.
Interesting Links:
Softpedia - Online downloads encyclopedia
W3Schools - Website Programming Tutorials
PC World - Everything about technology
Wikipedia - Online Encyclopedia
Photobucket - Free Image Hosting

"I don't support network bridges, they support me."

#15 sapsodifu

sapsodifu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:56 PM

I double checked and all the things are as you say. I've only come across 2 networks my laptop doesn't work on...my personal home network and the public library, every other place all the settings work. Thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users