Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Recovery?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lostintoronto

lostintoronto

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:46 PM

Hello,

I had an old Dell computer when one day the hard drive stopped booting (Seagate ATA-100 ST9100823A). I've since bought a new computer, and am giving the hard drive one last try. I've bought an external USB hard drive enclosure (Super slim external storage system). The light on the external drive case is now flashing red/green in quick succession, which tells me it is plugged in properly, but I hear no noise indicating the drive is functioning. When I try software such as SeaTools or ZAR, the drive is listed (sometimes called Generic Void Disk), but with a capacity and size of 0 bytes. In Vista, the old drive does show up under Disk Management, but I can't initialize it no matter what I try. I've tried everything I know to access the data on the drive, but it looks hopeless. Any ideas before I toss this old drive?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

Not positive but if you can't initialize the drive in Diskmgmt I don't think any software will be able to help.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 lostintoronto

lostintoronto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:49 PM

It definately seems to be toast. What a shame. Fortunately, I've been archiving on an external drive. Thanks for your feedback.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:19 AM

Sorry it wasn't a better outcome. :huh: Good thing for multiple back ups :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users