Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC not recognizing hard drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AceAlmighty13

AceAlmighty13

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:34 PM

I recently replaced my old PC and removed my second internal hard drive with music, videos, etc. that were on it. Vista is not recognizing it. I have not done much with it because I've been moving other files from my old PC to the new. I don't want to start something and ruin the data that's on it and have to reformat it. If you need more information just ask the questions you need the answers to and I'll answer the best that I can. Thanks for any help given.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:41 PM

Is the hard drive SATA or IDE? and is the new hard drive in the new computer sata/IDE? and does it show up in your device manager and/or your bios?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 AceAlmighty13

AceAlmighty13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

It's an IDE hard drive. The drive installation CD that came with it is not Vista compatible. Device Manager nor BIOS is recognizing the drive. The hard drive that came with the tower is SATA but there is an IDE connector for my new tower on the motherboard. I pulled the cord out of my old PC. It worked fine there. My unrecognized drive is a slave and I've got the jumper shunt in the last position.

Edited by AceAlmighty13, 17 March 2009 - 06:52 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:40 PM

Switch the jumper to the master or cable selection (usually the 2 or 3rd pin, should be a picture on the hard drive that tells you wich) SATA no longer requires master and slave, each sata channel is its own seperate being, when adding an IDE drive you dont have to slave it to your sata drive, but it follows the same IDE rules as a IDE only computer, if you only have one IDE device it needs to be set as either master or cable select, I normally do master, and if you have 2 devices one needs to be set as master and the other as slave.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 AceAlmighty13

AceAlmighty13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:06 PM

So far, I've gotten no where. The drive still isn't being picked up by Device Manager or BIOS. I've tried no jumper, and the 2nd and 3rd pin settings and I've got nothing. It's a Western Digital model(WD1600aabb, to be exact), if that is needed at all. I've even tried Disk Management and it still does not show. This is gonna be a dumb question but the only cord that should be attached to this drive is the IDE cord? I'm just covering my bases. Maybe I'm missing something that I've tried so hard to find that the simplest answer has been evading me.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:08 PM

IDE cable and 4 pin molex for power.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:33 PM

yes, you need the IDE and the 4 pin molex power. if its hooked up properly, and its set as master and its not showing in device manager or the bios, I would venture a guess and say it may be bad, but I would check it in another computer to be sure. there may be a setting im overlooking as well.

picard5.jpg

#8 AceAlmighty13

AceAlmighty13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

My new PC does not have the 4 hole molex power cord. The new hard drive doesn't even have the proper connections as well. Best Buy was the only place open at the time I could look for some kind of adapter. I believe Radio Shack or Staples would be a better option. If such an adapter exists. Otherwise, I think I'm gonna have to scrap the hard drive and pick up a new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users