Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is computer off even when I left it on?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Luvkitty

Luvkitty

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:14 PM

I know this is a weird question, but this is my first desktop computer vs. a notebook so I'm still learning how the hardrive works.

I have Webroot SpySweeper set to sweep automatically at 5PM nightly. Even though when I'm done working online I just leave and walk away with whatever is on the screen left on the screen and I leave my computer and monitor on, after about 15 minutes or so, the blue light, which is the power button light) on the harddrive will flash until I click the mouse to have the screen come back up. If the blue light is flashing at the 5PM time, then when I come back to the computer later, I get a message from SpySweeper that says there was a missed sweep. So, what is the blue light flashing for, how do I stop it, and what is the difference between shutdown, hibernate, and sleep on the Start menu? Which should I be doing, and how do I get going again if I use sleep or hibernate? Should I leave the monitor on for sleep and hibernate, too?

Thanks for the help!
Michele

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:58 PM

In the paragraph below your first statement, what are you talking about: desktop or laptop?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:19 AM

The monitor being on doesn't really affect sleep or hibernation. If you click the mouse to bring up the screen, then most likely you're talking about Sleep (Hibernation involves the entire computer shutting down).

SpySweeper most likely doesn't have the ability to wake your system from Sleep. So the solution is (IMO) to let the scan run once you come back to the computer after 5 pm. If you still want the scan to run at 5 pm regardless of your position at the computer, then you're going to have to leave it on (and not sleeping) at 5 pm. You can adjust these settings in Control Panel...Power Options
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:18 AM

Jay-P VIP,

I have a desktop computer now that I'm using, and that is what my question is in reference to.

Usasma,

Does the computer automatically go into Sleep mode if I don't shut down and turn it off or choose to go into Hibernate?

What is the difference between the entire computer shutting down in Hibernation vs. regular shutting down?

As for adjusting the settings by going to Control Panel and then Power Options, I don't see a Power Options to choose.

I'm still curious as to what the blue flashing light is all about??? Does everyone's computer do that when they walk away from it without turning it off or specifically choosing sleep or hibernate?

Thanks so much for all the help!! I really do appreciate it!! :huh:

Michele

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:27 PM

The computer can sleep, hibernate, or shut down if it's idle. This depends on the power settings chosen in the Control Panel...Power Options applet. If you don't see Power Options, click on the "Classic View" link in the left hand sidebar of the Control Panel window.

Sleep mode reserves a little trickle of electricity to preserve the stuff in memory so that you can resume quickly.
Hibernate saves the contents of the memory to the hard drive so you can shut off completely - and it'll restore that immediately upon rebooting.
Shutting down erases the contents of the memory, so when you reboot only the boot start stuff will load.

The blue light is wired to your motherboard, and usually indicates that the system is in Sleep mode (when it's flashing).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:24 AM

Thank you....I found it once I clicked on Classic View as you suggested. You also explained the different modes very well as I now understand them.

Thanks again, and happy Friday!!!
Michele :huh:

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:09 PM

Glad we could help. Happy computing! :huh:

#8 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

Thanks for starting this topic, Luvkitty, and thank you Usasma & cie for all your explanations.

I have a related question: which is the safest way to shut down your computer among these options, particularly if you have sometimes found boot-up to be a problem? By safe, I mean both in terms of security and for potential damage to the hard drive and software.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

fuzzywuzzy6 - if you have a question about your system, please start a topic for that question. This helps to keep things organized according to the issues posted, it helps to focus the efforts on your particular issue, and it helps to support the online community.

#10 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

I was speaking in general terms, as I was curious about the relative plusses and minuses about using hibernate vs. standby when i do not wish to shut off entirely. That is why I did not start a new topic.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:08 AM

This topic is closed. Any questions about reopening this topic can be directed to me via PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users