Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux and unemployment in the tech sector

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2009/03/temp...reeps-into.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 teacup61

teacup61

Bleepin' Texan!

• Malware Response Team
  • 17,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:03 PM

Some of those comments are most interesting. Someone actually said that with Linux there is no need for protection software. Well.....that's not true, and there is protection software for Linux. While Linux isn't a main target, there ARE viruses that get to Linux. I promise you that if the world shifts to Linux and its many flavors over Windows, then Linux will be the main target and we'll have to fight badware just as much as we do on Windows now. And while the numbers are very few, even Mac is not totally immune. It's all money driven, and for right now Mac and Linux isn't worth it.

As for the techs in the story......I agree with the majority that greed is the motive for their actions.
Please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you.
Every little bit helps! :)
You can even use your credit card! Thank you!

Posted Image

Error reading poptart in Drive A: Delete kids y/n?

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:55 PM

well, that and linux is a more powerful operating system. Personally, If I could run my games with linux I would do away with windows altogether. and as far as it goes yes theres viruses for linux, but linuxes own code make it nearly impossible to get one, the fact that you have to execute any files manually. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:53 PM

Then there is this:
http://www.techweb.com/article/showArticle...mp;section=News

QUOTES FROM LINK ABOVE:
A February survey of IT managers by IDC indicated that hard times are accelerating the adoption of Linux. The open source operating system will emerge from the recession in a stronger data center position than before, concluded an IDC white paper......

IT staffers knowledgeable in Linux frequently command good salaries......
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users