Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Novice and Encryption!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 IdMnstr

IdMnstr

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:53 PM

Hi,

I have been concerned recently that my router is not secure as it should be. I have not set the WEP encryption and would like to do this to make it more secure. The instructions in the router manual are pretty easy to understand. I don't think I will have any issue on that end.

My concern is what is connecting to the router. The manual doesn't say anything on what I have to do on that end.

The router is wireless but also has wired connections. I have been using only the wired connections till now. I just set up a new PC and it took a wired connection. This means that the PS3 is now wireless.

If I use wired connections to the router then will the WEP encryption cause any issue with the PCs connected in that manner?

If there is an impact then what will I have to do on the PC side. Is there a topic/discussion that lists the setup?

Is this setup of WEP on the router reversible if there is a problem?

I have not looked for the PS3 setup changes yet. I plan to do this research before I make any changes.

Regards,
Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

WEP is an encryption for the wireless only, so it wouldn't affect your PC's wired connection.

However, WEP can be easily cracked. I'd strongly suggest (if your wireless router supports it), WPA or WPA2 encryption instead.

When you connect other devices to the wireless network (like your PS3), you should be prompted to enter a passkey, which you setup through the wireless configuration/administration page.

Yes, if you come upon a problem, you can reverse it by pressing the reset button on the router, which resets the router back to factory defaults (which clears the passkey).

After a quick Google search, you'll probably also want to check out this link which has some helpful information on connecting a PS3 to an encrypted wireless network.
Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

#3 IdMnstr

IdMnstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:27 AM

Thank you for responding so quickly.

You have answered all my questions.

#4 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:27 PM

:thumbsup: You're welcome! Glad I could help!
Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

#5 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:38 AM

jntkwx - Since when does the reset button clear any firmware? ... I have been working with routers for some time and have never experienced that with a reset button... The button is only there to reset the router, as in turning it off and turning it on... (there is normally a section in the Web Gui, to reset to factory defaults...)

IdMnstr - Though Wep encryption is good to have, as jntkwx said, it is breakable... Personally, I would suggest setting your router to only allow wireless connections from specific Mac Addresses.. This way, with those set mac addresses, you won't have to enter a password, but anything that tries to connect to your wireless network, would have to be running on that Mac Address... The only downside to that, is that yes Mac Addresses are spoofable... But the person spoofing the Mac Address would have to know the address... Which would mean that either the person has remotely gotten access to one of those computers, or has had physical access to one of those computers... (or other devices...) Setting up anything wireless if pretty effortless... All you have to do is choose your password in the router, or set the Mac Addresses... If you would like a more detailed guide, I would need to know what router you are using.

#6 LeskTheGlut

LeskTheGlut

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

I just discovered that my neighbor is using my connection. Last night, I received a fax without my phone ringing. The fax machine is in my network. The fax was addressed to the guy that lives behind me.lol

#7 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:27 AM

I would be asking the neighbor wtf he is thinkin.. and that if he doesn't get off the network, tell him you will make sure he gets a few virus's for your troubles lmao

#8 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

jntkwx - Since when does the reset button clear any firmware? ... I have been working with routers for some time and have never experienced that with a reset button... The button is only there to reset the router, as in turning it off and turning it on... (there is normally a section in the Web Gui, to reset to factory defaults...)

Perhaps routers differ.
Every router I used (mostly Linksys or D-Link and Actiontech) power is one thing (by button or by unplugging usually to renew the IP), reset button held for few seconds resets to factory default, as jntkwx said.

We maybe reading the post differently, but I do not think jntkws said the reset button CLEARS the firmware. Just the settings.

#9 IdMnstr

IdMnstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:19 AM

Hi,

Thank you all for responding.

Since my Belkin router is old the MAC address is my best bet to tighten things up. The only wireless that I want to connect right now is the PS3. I will have to check that guy out for the MAC address.

Thatnks again,
Jim

#10 sacman

sacman

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:10 PM

For all your security questions ...

http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

Listen, Read, & Learn

Best website I've run across regarding security.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users