Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low virtual memory... Something isn't right

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 darkdays

darkdays

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

Recently I have removed some malware from my parents computer (My first post shouldn't be hard to find) and now their computer is showing "low virtual memory size. Windows is increasing the page file size" or something like that. I looked through here and google to find solutions. I have tried increasing the page file size. I have let windows manage the page file. Nothing seems to work. Right now it shows 1.4gb of page file being used and no programs are running (except avg free and its components which don't take up more then what seems like 50mb). The pc has 512mb of RAM and the initial size of the page file was 1.5 times that (recommended size by microsoft). Now its at least three times larger than the RAM. Should I replace the RAM or is there a problem somewhere? Usually I would fix this myself but something is just not right. I have some screenshots of the task manager processes windows and performance monitor.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 darkdays

darkdays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:22 PM

PLEASE HELP! i need to restart the pc at least twice a day for it to continue working.

#3 Smithsam

Smithsam

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:40 AM

try to follow these steps

Click Start | Run and type msconfig. Then click the Startup tab. You will see a list of programs that will run each time you start your PC. Clear the checkbox next to an item to prevent it from running. If you later find that you need that program, go back to MSConfig and check the box next to that item, and reboot.

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:37 AM

There is a strong possibility that you still have Malware, Mate.

Post back into "Am I Infected" and let them take a look at it?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users