Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Continually Reboots

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kitty

Kitty

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:50 AM

My computer keeps rebooting. Running Windows XP Pro with Service Pack II installed several months ago. All was fine until lately.
First mySpyware Atomizer? kept saying it was corrupted everytime I booted this was after about two weeks installation. I would go to the website and update each time this happened. While on the computer yesterday my Zone Alarm Firewall had problems, logs quit posting and could not do a check of hits, yet it seemed to be functioning somewhat. Today all my computer will do it continually reboot. I have run my Norton, run my 2 other spyware programs and nothing.
Tried to change the boot sequence to get my XP disk to boot, it loaded the drivers but when starting windows came on nothing would happen. Don't Know.
I have a new video card about two months when I had a similar problem.
Thanks for any help.

Pentium III
Windows XP (service pk 2)
Norton Anti-virus
Zone Alarm Pro Firewall
Atomizer Spyware
Spybot
NoAdware

Edited by Kitty, 10 June 2005 - 12:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:56 AM

have you tried to get it to boot up and stay up in Safe Mode?

Explain more about the video card and the similar problem in the past.

#3 Kitty

Kitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:09 PM

Yes, I have tried to get in safe mode, but everything I tried, it just kept rebooting.

The video card was installed when I took it in to reformat the hard drive.
It seemed as the computer has been hacked, as my Norton, Zone Alarm were somewhat disabled. At that time it showed a corrupted file.

I am really at a loss and a lot of people do not know about the hackers and spyware that we are all getting.

This could be an ongoing thing with my computer, as I have had 4 problems that have been unexplained in the past. I do have dialup (Juno).

I am not totally computer illiterate, but somewhat LOL.

#4 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:07 PM

Hmm. Judging from your history of apparent problems, you may wish to consider a complete re-installation of XP. Don't attempt unless you have the proper media handy and your code and all that. Probably though you should wait a bit more to maybe hear from some others with more advice.

the only thing that I can really offer at this point is to try and maybe troubleshoot whether it simply is a power supply issue (under watted) that has taken this long to emerge. You could strip the PC down to basically just the hard disk, mouse, keyboard and monitor removing every extraneous card and device from the system. If your motherboard has an onboard VGA port use that and remove the video card. Or if you still have the previous card use that. If you can get it to boot up stripped down like this it may just need a more powerful power supply. But chances are you would have had problems from the get go with whatever device (new vid card) was the straw that broke the camel's back.

#5 caterbro

caterbro

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:15 PM

hi-
before re-installing XP, try using the recovery console and run a checkdisk

boot the computer using yuor XP CD. after it loads, choose the option "Repair etc" this takes you to a command line console- hit enter. at the prompt, type chkdsk /f and wait for it to finish. this may take up to 3-4 hours. reboot.

good luck:)
Carl
----
Official puter fixer :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users