Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vertical green dashes and lines on screen, BIOS too!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pavones

Pavones

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:20 PM

Hi there-

I have some strange vertical lines appearing at boot on the splash screen, and they continue on into the windows "F8" screen, with randomly miscolored (pink instead of white) letters. Windows fails to boot with an nv4mini.sys BSOD, but I think it's hardware because of the discolored CMOS splash screen. It does boot fine into safe mode though...

Is it a hardware problem or software?

HP laptop with GEFORCE GO 7600
nv4mini.sys version is 6.14.108454

I've tried to roll back the driver to no avail.
Also tried system restore to a date in January with no luck either.

Thoughts?
TIA,
dean

XP pro 2002, SP2
ACER Aspire 5630 2gig ram, 160gig HD, XP sp3, Firefox, AVGfree
(2) Toshiba Satellite 2455-s305 laptops, 768MB ram and 512MB, 60Gig HDs, WinXP SP2, Firefox/Thunderbird, AVGFree, Adaware2007, Spybot SD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:32 PM

"nv4mini.sys "

I'm pretty sure that indicates a driver issue with a nvidia video card or onboard nvidia video.

Have you updated the drivers recently ?

I suggest uninstalling the video in the control panel, restarting the computer. & letting the video reinstall .

Edited by fairjoeblue, 16 March 2009 - 03:34 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Pavones

Pavones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:37 PM

Just uninstalled via device manager (in safe mode) it started to boot fine, then as it was reinstalling it BSOD'd again PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA. With the nv4_mini.sys again....
(2) Toshiba Satellite 2455-s305 laptops, 768MB ram and 512MB, 60Gig HDs, WinXP SP2, Firefox/Thunderbird, AVGFree, Adaware2007, Spybot SD

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:01 PM

Since there are many things that can cause the same issue & no for sure exact answer I suggest a troubleshooting as a process of elimination.

If it were my unit the 1st. thing I would do is test the system memory.
download memtest86, make a disk, & run the test.

http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.5.iso.zip

Unzip the ISO image.
Use a burning program with the "Burn Image To Disk" option to burn the image to a CD.
Boot the CD
If you get ANY errors you have faulty memory.
Memyest will keep starting the tests over until you manually stop it .

BTW, Do you have a video card or onboard video ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Pavones

Pavones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:05 PM

I did run memtest, but not even for an entire pass, as usually memtest seems to come up with something instantly.... I'll run it longer.
The video card is onboard (laptop)

Thanks,
dean

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:16 PM

I have some strange vertical lines appearing at boot on the splash screen, and they continue on into the windows "F8" screen, with randomly miscolored (pink instead of white) letters. Windows fails to boot with an nv4mini.sys BSOD, but I think it's hardware because of the discolored CMOS splash screen. It does boot fine into safe mode though...

Hardware if it is showing on the splash and BIOS screen. Hook it up to a TV or external monitor to confirm a video card vs your LCD.

Before you waste more time diagnosing it , I will repeat my previous posts about NVidia chipset laptops.................................Get on "HP Livechat", have your lappy, and power supply handy and go through the diag with the other person helping you. If it shows a problem hooked up to a TV or external monitor, tell them as it will aid/speed up the diag. If you are lucky HP will cover it under extended warranty and send you a shipping box and all you will be out is time. NV set aside a big chunk o' change to fix/replace their defective mobile chipsets.

Edited by dpunisher, 16 March 2009 - 04:17 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 Pavones

Pavones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:39 PM

Hardware if it is showing on the splash and BIOS screen. Hook it up to a TV or external monitor to confirm a video card vs your LCD.

Before you waste more time diagnosing it , I will repeat my previous posts about NVidia chipset laptops.................................Get on "HP Livechat", have your lappy, and power supply handy and go through the diag with the other person helping you. If it shows a problem hooked up to a TV or external monitor, tell them as it will aid/speed up the diag. If you are lucky HP will cover it under extended warranty and send you a shipping box and all you will be out is time. NV set aside a big chunk o' change to fix/replace their defective mobile chipsets.

OK borrowed a monitor and it's got the green lines, so it's the card not the LCD. :thumbsup: It's way out of warranty, though. Thanks for the help.
dean

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:37 PM

It doesn't matter if it is out of warranty. This is a separate program. I got one covered for a customer that was well over a year out of warranty. It cannot hurt to try.

Edited by dpunisher, 16 March 2009 - 11:38 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users