Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfering my external hardware data

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kamador451

kamador451

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:14 PM

My external hardware is defective and my computer and any computer is unable to access the information inside my external harddrive. I received a new one with my warranty but I want to transfer all my information from my defective one to the new one.

I was wondering how I'm able to do that? One person said to use the "Ca backup and Migration software" to transfer it. Will it work? And how does it do it?Do I like need a USB connecting the 2 harddrive? And can it work if my computer can't recognize my defective drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:07 PM

And can it work if my computer can't recognize my defective drive?

No.

Options: Remove the old hard drive from it's enclosure, install it in your present system and see if it is recognized, or get another compatable enclosure, or USB-IDE/SATA adapter and see if it is recognized. If the drive isn't recognized, data retrieval software is useless. Best case, your enclosure hardware is shot but the hard drive itself is still functional.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users