Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer left on

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 rocket2247

rocket2247

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:28 PM

Is it better to leave your computer on 24/7, or should you shut it down when not using it, or put it in sleep mode?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:08 PM

I usually leave my PC on when using Linux but turn it off when working in Windows. On the new Laptop (1st post on new laptop) I imagine it'llstay turned off mostly.

Posted Image

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

I agree with blackspyder on the windows notion. this issue hads been discussed in depth and seems to run 50-50 in results. Of corse the cost is an issue and I would, if leaving it on turn off the monitor as that is about 75% of your expense. the PC will need to be restarted at least to clear the casche in the RAM.

Edited by boopme, 16 March 2009 - 05:12 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:57 PM

I turn mine off/hibernate it when not in use, but then again my computer is noisy and sucks power faster then a baby eats candy and I dont like the huge electric bills at the end of the month. lol.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:38 AM

I generally leave my main rig (Windows Vista Desktop) running for about 16hours and mainly overnight for various reasons, and generally turn it off during the day when I'm out at work.

The laptop is mainly off when not in use but then the misses must have this on and off about 20times a day :thumbsup:

I did once leave a desktop running for several days and the occasion restart was required after say an update but apart from that it wasn't a problem. And as boopme said, just turn the monitor off :flowers:
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#6 rocket2247

rocket2247
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for the advice. I am leaving it on but have the monitor turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity. The only time the computer is restared is if I go out of town or if there is an automatic windows update.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:45 PM

I am bad, I leave mine on all the time, I never even turn off the monitor. I only reboot it when I have done something on it that requires it to be rebooted, otherwise I only reboot it about once a week or so.

#8 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:06 AM

I always turn my PC off when i've finished with it, I only leave it on if I go to eat and intend on going back on it.

Personally I don't see a reason to leave it on, unless you're using it as a server, what exactly are your reasons for leaving your computers on?? Does turning them off have a bad effect or something? I just thought I was saving elec

#9 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

I think some of us are lazy and cant be bothered to wait for it to boot everytime we want to use it?

I usually leave mine on for quite a few days at a time, but its off right now, cuz the hard drive is dead.... Lesson maybe?

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:47 PM

I leave mine on because it is convenient, I want it to be ready when I want it. I often have a game loaded and am in the middle of it, do not see the reason for killing it just because I won't be playing it for a while. I use AOL for email and do not want to wait not only for the computer to load up, but for AOL to load up and connect. I want to be able to check things online when I get up and home from work and I don't want to wait for it to load up, especially when I get up, and since I often get back up shortly after going to bed and come back to it, it doesn't make sense to me to shut it off. My computer is set up in the living room, monitor is not on a desk, it is on a stand right in front of my big comfy chair with the tv right off to the side, and when I am home I am usually watching tv and playing on the puter so leaving it on is just very convenient as I am always returning to it shortly. And as dumb as it sounds, I also like the light that leaving it on provides for when I get up during the night and for when I come home from work. An additional benefit of having the light from it while I am at work is it can kind of be seen from outside and with the screensaver being pictures, the light is always kind of changing and that might lead someone to believe that someone is home and since I generally work some form of the swing shift, I like that.

#11 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:36 AM

Turn it off. It only takes a couple of minutes to turn it back on. Computer inner workings don't wear out sitting off. You don't wast power. Security!!! There is no back door to a off computer to the best of my knowledge. I also unplug my modem until my computer is fully booted. This allows your anti-virus and fire wall to fully load before your computer can be seen.

#12 MishY

MishY

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:39 PM

this issue hads been discussed in depth and seems to run 50-50 in results.

Yeah this is what I usually do. Leave it on half the time and turn it off the other half.
I haven't had any problems so far doing it this way.

#13 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:16 PM

How much energy do the typical peripherals use? Some green sites suggest turning off the surge protector strip after turning off the pc.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:50 PM

A typical PC consumes something like 300 watts. Let's assume that you use your PC for four hours every day, so the other 20 hours it is on would be wasted energy. If electricity costs 10 cents per kilowatt-hour in your area, then that 20 hours represents 60 cents a day. Sixty cents a day adds up to $219 per year.

HowStuffWorks
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 MishY

MishY

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:14 AM

Here's a compelling reason to at least turn off the computer when away from home-
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09731.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users