Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running processes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tindog

tindog

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:10 PM

I just wanted to make an observation. One of the continuing annoyances I've had to deal with since the beginning of time is figuring out which processes in my task manager are necessary and which are not. When I do a search for them I get several websites that try to categorize them and tell you something about each process so you can know how to treat it, including Bleeping Computer.com... however, they never really tell you what the individual processes actually do. As a for instance, I have a process called QPservice running... it is clearly related to the QuickPlay function of my HP computer, I can tell this already in the item description in the task manager window. On the website it does little more than mimic that. It is clearly 'related' to the quick play function, and it says that it isn't an essential process but it is up to the individual to decide whether to stop it or not, but it would be more helpful to know what it actually does for the QuickPlay function. Is it the file that starts the process on start up, or a helper file that keeps it in the 'ready' mode until I need it, or does it run in the background looking for updates or upgrades... that kind of thing. If I know what activity the .exe file initiates (and this qpservice file is just one example that happened to be on my plate at the moment) then I could more easily and quickly make a decision about it. Does anyone else agree that more info is better in this case? In your instructions for this forum it says to make sure it is a Startup issue and not a running process issue, but without more info, how does one always know the difference when you're just looking at the name of an exe file and it's generic description?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

I entirely agree. The problem is that a lot of the times there is no other information available.

#3 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:59 AM

It's true, i've encountered the same problems. The worst is when you Google these items, and you constantly find the same sites at the top of the list, which just contain generic pages which are not tailored for humans. The only way around this is to post in a forum and to hope somebody is generous enough to heplp you out.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:03 PM

Unlike other sites, when we encounter a new entry we actually try and research it. Sometimes, though, no real info is available so we need to enter related to blah type entries. Not the best, but better than nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users